Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.

will planting dymondia as a ground cover between stepping stones

will planting dymondia as a ground cover between stepping stones be a danger to toroise who lives in that area..side yard.

I apologize for the delayed response; I've been researching dymondia to find out if it may be toxic. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I've gone through every plant database I have, and cannot find dymondia listed as either safe or toxic. It is apparently a plant on which no research has been done. It is, however, in the aster family, and some asters are toxic if eaten. For that reason, I wouldn't take a chance with it. There are many small sedums that fill in well between stones, are very low maintenance, and are safe. You may want to consider one of them. There are many others that could be good choices as well. Here are links to two lists of tortoise-safe plants:

I find it amazing and wonderful that you have a tortoise who is 80 years old. I hope you'll have many more years with him. If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!
Hi Sylvia Chant,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sheldon. How is everything going?