Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience as veterinary tech and 15+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

Hello, my bearded dragon is very sluggish and he has the correct

Hello, my bearded dragon is very sluggish and he has the correct heating, a red bulb at night, a UVB and a basking light, I feed him his greens, crickets, and everything he needs, he is 5 years old and has a water dish, food dish, log, and a net for basking, His uvb is a tube and his basking spot is about 90 - 100 degrees and his cool part of the tank is around 70-75, I am wondering why he will eat crickets/mealworms but not his greens very much, and he is not very active, he likes to sit under hit net and on his net, but I have to help him up there because he cant really do it by himself, his sand is the type that wont cause compaction, what am I doing wrong?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

I see that you have requested Joan. She is not online right now, but will be a little later this morning. I didn't want you to think you are being ignored. There are some additional things Joan will want to know.

What brand and size is your UVB light? How old is the bulb?

Does Spike get a calcium supplement?

What greens have you tried feeding him?

If you'll provide this information in a REPLY, Joan will be with you as soon as she logs in this morning. Thank you.

Anna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My UVB is about 18 inches covering the back part of his tank, the bulb is maybe 4 months used and yes he gets his calcium, I have a Zilla tropic mist for dry skin and food spray for calcium support. I feed him normally Mustard Greens, celery (every once in a while) grapes, carrots, broccoli, ETC,things I have picked up from other people (Petco, Zilla, other experts.) I

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Joan will be with you as soon as she comes on. Please don't reply to this post as that can lock her out fo the question. You will receive an email when she responds to you. Thank you for your patience.

Anna
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet tech with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile rescue.
Can you tell me about the set up?
How old is your Dragon is he 5 months old or 5 years old?
What type of sand are you using? Is it Vita Sand, Calci sand or playground sand?
How are the temps measured?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hes is 5 years old, he has a good waterbowl and food bowl, Vita sand, and he has a log that he loves with a net that he sits on for basking, the warm side of his tank is 90 - 95 degrees while the cool side is normally 70-80

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
I just need an answer quick, I love my little buddy spike and I want him to be ok
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry it has taken me so long, but the site has has some issues where I could not post my answer. The sand that Spike is on is very dangerous as is all loose substrates:

This will give you an idea about Sand as a substrate: http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/impaction/?page=3

I suggest using a solid substrate like tile, cage carpet, slate or paper. Sand can also cause skin problems and corneal ulcers in the eyes. The basking area should have 105*F in the basking area, 90's on warm side and the cool side of the tank in the 85* range. This is important for digestion and passing of stool. If the temps are not correct, this can also cause a problem where the Dragon will shut down and become weak.

You need to have 2 lights, a day time basking bulb as well as a UVB. I recommend a reptisun 10.0 and UVB lights do not put out heat. The UVB bulb is needed to stop Metabolic Bone Disease. The UVB needs to be changed every 6 months.

The UVB should be a tube type. Coil UVB bulbs can injure the eyes.Compact UVB problems: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-info.htm The red light is not needed unless the temps drop into the 60's. You should be feeding Collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, escarole and curly endives. Butternut squash and various berries are great for a treat. The Veggies should be put in fresh daily, and done about an hour after lights on. They need 80% veggies daily and 20% live prey overa year of age.The live prey should include crickets, silk worms, roaches, goliath worms and phoenix worms.The meal worms are high in chitin which is the outer shells and can cause a blockage. Super worms and wax worms are like giving the Dragon candy. All veggies and prey should be dusted with calcium daily 5 days a week and vitamins 2 days a week.

We can try some first aid to help. Please give Spike a soak in a 50/50 warm water and Pedialyte soak. While soaking massage the abdomen from snout to vent. This should help. Make sure you are using a good powdered calcium supplement. He he does not repsond to the hydration and increase in temps, them there may be something going on, that will need to be addressed by a Herp Vet. They can run blood work and a Fecal. As long as Spike is eating, we are still doing well. To get him to eat his veggies, use some fruit baby food like a salad dressing to entice him to eat

If you supply a State, I can locate a Herp Vet for you. Please let me know if you have further questions. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Riverton Wyoming

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

These are the lists of Herp Vets I have in WY:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/wyoming.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you can get to one of the Vets on the list as there are not that many Listed.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So I just fed spike his dinner, it was Butternut squash with some baby food to entice him to eat, sprayed with calcium supplement and stirred around. He ate a few then started to king of leak poop? He then got real exited and tried to move about the tank.

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

How is spike doing today? You need to Mix the butternut squash with the green veggies I mentioned to make sure the meal is balanced. You should be putting in the Veggies 1 hour after you turn on the lights, since Spike needs to eat when it is warm in his tank. They cannot digest food when the tank cools down. That is whay it is important to feed 1 hours after lights on and 2 hours before lights off. This aids with digestion.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We werent able to get much food last night for him from the store considering it was just yesterday, but hes doing good, hes basking right now under his lamp. Dripped some water down his snout and he drank it. So hes doing ok right now

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I suggest giving the Pedialyte and warm water soak. Reptiles will absorb fluid through the vent(where they pass stoo). The soak will do a lot of good. when done with the soak then dry him off and put him back into bask.You can order other prey feeders on line here. www.westcoastroaches.com or www.mulberryfarms.com . Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where can you get Pedialyte? From the local store, or do you have to order it? I have to ask my mom to buy some things for spike, so I am not really sure how to get some things.

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Pedialyte is an infant electrolyte replacer and sold where infant products are sold in all stores. Grocery and stores like walmart and target carry it. Please do not for get to rate my service when you feel I have given excellent service. You can still continue with the converstaion. My goal is to give you Excellent Service. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Since the only things I have for spike are Butternut squash, celery, sweet peppers, grapes, berries, and what not, what should I feed him until we can get all his things he needs? This weekend my mom and I are going to look online to order worms like you suggested and get some new things, Reptile carpet, new basking rock, and a new UVB light.

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I gave you a food chart that should help you. Much of what you are feeding are now staple foods and can cause a problem. Red peppers, and green peppers are ok with the Butternut squash is fine, celery tops, even some romaine lettuce will do until you can get the proper diet set up. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I gave him what you said, but with no romain lettuce :(. Hes eating it right now, I put it on a paper towel so he couldnt wipe sand on the food, He has been doing it and I had to re make the food

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I would remove the sand from the tank and put paper towels down for now. It is much safer for Spike. It is great he is eating. For now you can give him a soak in plain warm water to just make sure he stays well hydrated. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there a safe way to remove sand from the tank? Its downstairs and it ways around 100 - 130 pounds with just sand and tank

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

To remove the sand, just get a cup and start scooping the dand out of the tank. It is sold as safe, but any loos substrate can cause a serious blockage. I would just scoop all the sand out and replace with paper towels for now and then cage carpet. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Alrighty, I'll get to it right now, will reply when I'm done, thanks for the tip :)

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

This is a common problem and you should be able to empty the tank easily this way and replace the sand with paper towels until you can get the cage carpet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Im pleased to say Spike is now eating more! This morning for breakfest he had Collard greens with some Butternet squash and a little bit of red pepper, his diet is getting on track and hes more active and looking stronger after getting some food into himself!

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

That is great news! It was a matter of fixing the conditions and husbandry. If there are any problems, you can always ask for me in your question. Please do not forget to rate my service, because that is how I get paid from the site. You can still come back to this question at any time for a follow up. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am VERY pleased to tell you that we were able to take all the sand out of spikes tank, vaccum it out and replace it with paper towels on the bottom and then ceramic tile, the tile stays so much warmer then sand so he feels comfortable! This morning he had Butternut squash with some collard greens, for the first time I saw him actuly get exited for his veggies! He ate maybe 3-5 bites then walked around his tank. Thank you for the help! My mom and I ordered a new magnetic basking rock with a cork so he can climb up to it, along with a waterfall for humidity (small), a new 36 inch uvb light and 2 new thermometers!

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

This is all great news! I am so happy spike is doing well. The tile is very easy to clean and much safer than the sand. You have done well with the changes in the tank and that is what has helped Spike. If you can get some Hibiscus flowers in the red color, they are a great treat for Dragons. Please do not forget to rate my service if you feel I have helped resolve the problems Spike has been having. Joan

Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience: 30+ years experience as veterinary tech and 15+ years experience doing reptile rescues.