Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

my turtle has something comin out of his butt. it look sas

my turtle has something comin out of his butt. it look sas if his kidney is hanging out from his bottom. it was red initially and now it is turning black. i am very worried please hthat is the thing coming out from the bottomlp

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this problem.Thank you for sending a clear photo.

Jerry is suffering from a prolapse. That is, an internal organ (probably intestines) is coming out of his vent. I can give you a first aid measure to take, but you will need a vet to remedy the problem. The fact that it is turning black means infection may have set in. This is a medical emergency, and will be fatal without veterinary treatment. These links will take you to directories of vets who treat turtles:

http://www.nytts.org/nytts/helpnet.htm

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

Ordinary table sugar is often used to reduce swelling when there's a prolapse. This will help prevent more damage, but is not a cure. Put a layer of sugar on a paper towel in a container with a smooth surface (so the prolapsed organs can get caught or damaged). Wet the sugar to make a paste. Also put some of the sugar paste directly on the prolapse. Confine Jerry in the container until you can take him to the vet. You can read more about the use of sugar by scrolling down about halfway on this page:

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/medinjuries.htm

If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope you'll be able to quickly find a vet, and that Jerry will reach a full recovery.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thx for the reply, will do the needfull immediately.

just wanted to ask if this prolapse is painful and if he is suffering at the moment because of this. also want to know why this might have happened?