Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

Hi i have got 2 bearded Dragons and wondered what temp i should

Hi i have got 2 bearded Dragons and wondered what temp i should keep the hot spot at now as they are 4 years old as at present i have it set to 40.0c

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet tech with Special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue. The basking spot at 40.0C is perfect for the Dragons. The warm side should be in the 34.0C for the comfort of the Dragons and the cool side should be at 28.0C for a good temperature gradient. The temperture is important for the proper digestion of food and health of the Dragon. I also suggest a Good UVB light that is a florescent tube Reptisun 10.0 and make sure it is replaced every 6 months to be sure that the Dragons are getting adequate UVB to work with a good plain calcium supplement. Please let me know if there is further information needed. My goal is Excellent Service. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How often and where do you recommend i let them out and how long for at one time before they go back in there tank

When I take the Dragons out I put them on a Reptile Leash and sit with mine outside. I am very cautious, since wild insects can make your Dragons deathly ill. Fireflies and Boxelder Bug can kill a Dragon as well as spiders and butterflies. Dragons can be fast, so a leash helps. I also just take them out for about 15-20 mins at a time. They do need 12-14 hours of UVB daily.

This is a homemade leash: http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/sunnyvale_22/100_0714.jpg

This is the type you can buy: http://www.oglerpets.com/lizard-leashes.php

Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is this ok http://bit.ly/1aRfk6A. Also can I take them on grass

Yes that leash is fine. I know quite a few people that use that type. If you allow them in the grass, keep an eye out for them eating any bugs as I mentioned, as well be sure the grass has no insecticide or fertilizers that could be absorbed. A little walk on the leash in the grass is fine as long as you take precautions. Dragons can be fast. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you I just ordered it but how many times a week or a month should I take them for a walk

Two or three days a week if it is nice and sunny out for 15-20 mins should be fine. I know they will enjoy it and the leash will give you security of them getting away from you. Please do not forget to rate my Service. My goal is to give you Excellent Service and I know we have worked together before, so it is nice to have you back! Joan

Hi David,
Just following up to see if the information was helpful and if I can assist you further with the Dragons.
Joan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi i got the leash today but one of the dragons does not like it that much he looks like he might bite me as his mouth opens wide.

Be firm, with the Dragon. It has to get used to the leash. They will puff out their beards and will open their mouth. This is normal behavior. It is like a child that does not want to do what his parent says and throws a tantrum. If you show fear, it makes things worse. When you put the leash on offer a treat like a wax worm or super worm. That shows it is a positive experience. Joan