Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience as veterinary tech and 15+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

I have been temporarily looking after my fathers elderly and

I have been temporarily looking after my father's elderly and rather unwell Black Labrador. I THINK its eaten our small tortoise although for the previous 5 weeks has shown no interest in it whatsoever. I say think, because whilst I can't find the tortoise (really nowhere to hide) the dog has had no reaction and I can see no evidence in it's stools.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet Tech with all animals and have special interest in reptiles and reptile rescue. Dr Fiona has not been active on the site for over a year and I would love to assist you if you would like me to do so. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, what else do you need?

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me where Dan was housed? Inside or outside?

Is the dog passing normal stools?

Any vomiting, diarrhea or constipation in the dog?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dan was housed inside and the dog is normal in every way...

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

If the Dog had eaten Dan, you would seen some type of issue pop up within 48 hours of ingestion. When a dog ingests a tortosie would see an intestinal blockage or possible intestinal perforation from the shell. Some of the signs you would notice would be a lack of stool, blood in stool, vomiting or diarrhea. You might see excessive drooling, pale gums or abdominal pain. If the dog is not showing any of these signs I doubt Dan was eaten. A Tortoise can wander and hide. They will look for a warm spot to hide in, since Reptiles are cold blooded and cannot thermoregulate their body temperature. I would check behind and under furniture, appliances like the refrigerator. I have seen owners find their pet reptiles curled in the coils in the bottom of a refrigetor or behind a clothes drier.

The other option is to take the dog and have an abdominal X ray run to be sure they do not see something in the stomach or imtestinal tract. I reeally think that if the dog is not showing any signs of discomfort or illness that Dan may still be on the loose. Please let me know if you have further questions. My goal is to give you Excellent Service. Joan

Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience: 30+ years experience as veterinary tech and 15+ years experience doing reptile rescues.