Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience as veterinary tech and 15+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

We have a 2-3 year old leopard gecko that has developed a mass

We have a 2-3 year old leopard gecko that has developed a mass behind her right eye that is almost peas shaped in size. We saw her with some minimal eye swelling in recent weeks, but it seemed to be getting better. She hides so much that we missed this development in the last week until she started to shed (in a bad way...the losing weight before you die shed). The eye is now sealed and she looks rough. Is this even a recoverable situation by a vet?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet tech with Special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

What you are describing is an abscess and it will need to be addressed by a Herp Vet asap. This type of problem occurs when there is an injury of some sort that becomes infected and its heals up sealing in infection. The Vet will have to open the acscess and treat with antibiotics. You can do some immediate first aid to help your Gecko. Please start a soak with a solution of warm water and Pedialyte 50/50. This will help prevent dehydration. You can use some warm water compresses on that abscess area. Make sure you have Jasmine on paper towels, so no loose substrate can get on the area. You can try and supplement feed using some baby food chicken mixed with calcium and drop on the snout and allow the Jasmine to lick it off. These abscesses can get systemic sending infection through the body, so having the Gecko seen by a Herp Vet asap will be important. Please supply a State and I can locate a Herp Vet for you to get the Jasmine into. Please let me know if you have further questions. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Joan-

I live in Jacksonville, FL.

She seems to be Ok with the warm bath (not fighting it).

It appears that she has some significant mouth rot as well. Her tail is also misshaped now...

BotXXXXX XXXXXne - I'm not sure if we are too late.

Scott

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Hi Scott,

We can sure try and do what we can for Jasmine. For the mouth oth you can use a diluted Betadine solution and water and clean the areas and on the outside you can use some Plain Neosporin on any open areas. It is woth taking her to a Herp Vet, to at least try and save her. She is very young and hopefully we can get the infection under control. These are Herp Vets in FL: http://www.arav.org/find-a-vet/#Florida ------ http://www.anapsid.org/vets/florida.html Hopefully with the first aid and a Vet we can save her and give her a longe life. Joan

Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience: 30+ years experience as veterinary tech and 15+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Scott,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jasmine. How is everything going?

Joan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

With your help - Jasmine made it through the weekend. We were quoted $200 minimum for removal of the mass. As difficult as it may be - we aren't looking to spend that kind of money for an animal that isn't likely to survive much longer. We will welcome any additional advice that makes her more comfortable.

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry they quoted that type of money. Many Vets are willing to work with owners. I would call around. I would continue soaks, feed baby food for nutrition and use some warm Betadine and warm water compresses on the area. Maybe with some luck it will go down. I would ask the Vet if he could at least give you an antibiotic in hopes that it is an infection and that it may help it go down. It can't hurt. I lost my oldest female Leo at 22 years old, so they can have a long life. Joan