Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

hi i had a question concerning one of my red eared slider turtles,

hi i had a question concerning one of my red eared slider turtles, shes been pooping like if she has diarrhea and she keeps dirtying the tank and making it worse for my other red eared slider. i was wondering if there was something i could do to help her out. she is 6 inches. this has been going on for two days and ive been cleaning the tank to put new cleaner water.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet tech for 30+ years and have special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

In order to help I need to ask some questions.

Can you tell me if you have a UVB bulb, strength, how old, florescent tube or coil?

Diet Prey, Pellets veggies?

Size of tank?

Basking light?

State to locate a Herp Vet?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

for filtration i use a fluval 206 and i have my turtles at the moment in a 30 gallon tank , ive been meaning to buy a bigger one. i fed them reptomin and later switch to dried shrimp. they have a basking light, my state is ny. i also have 50w infrared light.

The turtles should have a UVB light which should be a reptisun 10.0 florescent tube. This works with a calcium supplement to prevent metabolic bone disease. These seem to be missing in the husbandry. The Diet for a Red Eared Slider should be 50% leaf greens or aquatic plants, 25% pellets and 25% live prey or cooked meats like slivers of white meat chicken. The proper diet is very important for longeviety and heath. The water temp should be 74-78*F and the basking area should be from the mid 80's-90*F. The temps are very important for digestion. If they are too low, that an cause loose stools. The problem I suspect is either a bacterial infection or parasite issue. You can start first aid bu giving a soak in 50/50 warm water and Pedialyte for 30mins. You can pick up Bene Bac from the larger pet supplies and try and get some into the turtle. Bene Bac is a Pro Biotic which should help with the diarrhea. You can also try feeding some canned Pumpkin, not pie filling, which is a high fiber food. I do believe the turtle should be checked hands on by a reptile specialist for an inection or parasites, so they can give the proper medication to stop the diarrhea.

NY Herp Vets: -----

Please let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to continue with you. Joan