Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

Our turtle is 15 years old and, while cleaning the tank, jumped

Our turtle is 15 years old and, while cleaning the tank, jumped off of the counter and hit the concrete. His mouth was bleeding and then he coughed up more clotted blood. He is now resting, but not very interested in eating yet. What should I do?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet tech with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

Can you tell me what type of turtle Sir is?

Is there any cracks in the shell?

Can he move all his extremeties?

Has the bleeding subsided?

Can you see in his mouth and tell if it is an oral injury?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sir is a Map Turtle, with no cracks in his shell. Bleeding has subsided slightly, may have clotted, looks as though its coming from a cut on or near his mouth. He can move his extremities better now.

When a turtle takes a fall, we are always concerned with internal bleeding, which can account for clots. He should see a herp vet to be cehcked out. I can locate one sith a State. In the mean time we can do some first aid. Please place him in a shallow soak of 50/50 warm water and Pedialyte. This will help with electrolytes from the blood loss and also reduce stress. Soak for 20 mins. For the mouth, you cana dilute some Betadine with water to a tea color and clean the areas that look injured, but do not get in his eyes. You can also apply some neosporin if there is a cut. Over all he should have a hands on exam to make sure there is no internal bleeding and get some supprtive care for pain, if needed an antibiotic. Please let me know if you need further help. Joan

Hi Doug,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sir. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for following up Joan. My daughter said that Sir is much better, eating and swimming/moving around well. We appreciate your advice! Thank you, Doug

Hi Doug,

I am so happy that Sir is doing better! Great nursing care!