Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience as veterinary tech and 15+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

Hi I have a 22 yr old female green iguana, who has been

Hi

I have a 22 yr old female green iguana, who has been passing some blood in her stools on and off for some months, however today she has passed very large clots twice, the second being much larger than the first.

She has been in good health other than this and she does not appear to be in any pain, although I imagine it would be hard to tell if a reptile was in pain? She is eating normally, but has been drinking more over the last two days.

Obviously I am very concerned with what I have seen today and wondered if you could give e some idea of what I'm dealing with as our local vet is not experienced in reptiles health.

Thanks for your help.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am a Vet Tech with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue. Since she Belch is a female and is throwing clots, I would suggest having her seen by a Reptile Vet asap. My concern when this happens in a female is a ruptured egg in the ovaduct, which can turn septic. Female Iguanas can produce eggs without a male, so this is one of several possibilities.The other possibility is a Kidney issue, since Iguanas are predisposed to Kidney issues. I am going to give you links to locate Reptile specialists in the UK. Belch will need an X ray, some blood work and an ultrasound, in order to properly diagnose the problem. The hands on exam, will be the best way to diagnose and treat her. In the mean time I would give he a soak in warm water and Dioralyte for 30 mins. This will help prevent dehydration and help her until she can be seen. This is the link for Herp Vets in The UK: http://www.livefoods.co.uk/Vets.php

Please let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to continue with you. Joan

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi Joan

Thank you for replying so quickly.

Can this happen at her age - 22 yrs old - she has never laid any eggs previously?

I'm concerned it is something more due to her age. These clots were at least 4 inches by 1 inch in size.

I've tried trawling the internet but have not come across anything like it.

Yours worriedly

Kellie

Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

Hi Kellie,

Even at 22 years old she can produce eggs and if she cannot lay them she can have them rupture. There may also be a problem with her shelling gland in the ovaduct. The other concern I have is Iguanas are predisposed to Kidney failure. In either case, we need to have her seen by a Herp Vet. When an Iguana is passing blood clots that is a red flag for Belch to be seen. I gave you a link that has Vets that treat Iguanas and other reptiles, so you can see if there is one close by. The soak in the warm water and Dioralyte will help prevent dehydration and should help until she is seen by a Vet. Joan

Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience: 30+ years experience as veterinary tech and 15+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.
Hi Kellie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Belch. How is everything going?

Joan
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi Joan

We've spoken to the reptile expert at the local zoo and they have advised it may be either an infection or cancer of some kind due to her age. They have suggested seeing how she gets on for a few days to see how she progresses, as a trip to the vet may cause her too much distress and subsequently weaken her system. However as of this morning she's still eating and drinking normally, and this morning there was no sign of blood in her faeces, although I realise that doesn't mean she's in the clear and if it happens again we will be taking her to a vet however they advised due to her age we may have to consider euthanasia.

She has been a part of our lives for so long, having outlived my 21 yr old cat even, and we will be very sad when that time comes as she's been a part of our lives for so long. She's obviously a tough old bird, having survived three house moves and the various upheaval that entails.

Thanks for your interest.

Kind Regards

Kellie

Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

Hi Kellie,

I will keep her in my prayers!

Joan