Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience as veterinary tech and 15+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

My bearded dragon wont eat or drink, and is just laying in

My bearded dragon won't eat or drink, and is just laying in the same place.I tried the warm bath ,I have to hold his head up. I have tried giving him water with an eye dropper and he won't open his mouth.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet Tech with special interest in reptiles and reptile rescue. I need to ask a few questions.

How old is Divo?

Can you tell me about the set up?

Diet prey/veggies?

Supplements?

Type of substrate?

Lighting? Do you have a UVB light, age florescent tube or compact coil and brand name of bulb?

Basking light?

Temps and how measured?

Is Divo passing stool?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No he is not passing stool. He is just laying in same spot. I gave him another soak in warm water and this time he was moving around and looked alert. His belly became real bloated . He is back in his cage and is just laying again. his belly is not bloated looking anymore. I am not sure of his age we bought him at Petsmart about 5 month ago. I am not sure what the uvb bulb is but it was made by All Living things.I will have to look and let you know.Temps are 90 degrees and humidity is 20%

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Is the bulb you are using the only bulb?

Size of enclosure?

Diet prey/veggies?
Do you feed any Supplements?

Type of substrate?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I also have a bulb we put on at night a red bulb. He gets crickets dusted with calcium and mealworms every other day . He has reptile carpet in his cage.

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Please stop the olive oil , it is very dangerous and can cause aspiration pneumonia. You are not using a UVB bulb. The bulbs you have are nothing but for heat and basking: http://www.anapsid.org/uvtable.html. Reptiles need a UVB bulb to metabolize calcium in the body. Without the UVB bulb Divo is susceptable to Metabolic Bone Disease: http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/reptilesgeneral/a/metabolicbd.htm. The UVB bulb is needed to metabilize the calcium into D3 in the body.

Right now Divo is showing weakness due to the lack of UVB rays. I suggest that you get to the store today and pick up a Reptisun 10.0 florescent tube and get it set up on the tank. It should stretch the length of the tank. You will need the basking bulb too in a dome to offer heat. The Temps in the basking area should be 105*-110*F- the warm side the 90's and the cool side the mid 80's. Dragons do not need the red light bulb at night, unless the temps drop below 75*F. You need to get the Dragon started on some veggies. I suggest Collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, butternut squash, escarole and curly endives finely chopped and dusted with calcium and put in 1 hour after lights on. I would stop the meal worms, they are too high in chitin, the hard outer shell for digestion. I suggest silk worms, phoenix worms, dubia roaches, and crickets. For treats wax worms or goliath worms.

When you give a soak use a 50/50 warm water and Pedialyte soak(infant electrolyte solution). I think you will notice an improvement once you get the UVB light on Divo.

Pets shops have a horrible problem with not properly training their sales people and they gove poor information when selling an animal. Unfortunately this is becoming more common and the animals are the ones who suffer. make sure there is no glass or plastic between te UVB light and the Dragon. The light needs to run 12-14 hours a day for the proper amount of UVB. Please let me know how Divo does once you get him under the UVB light. Joan

Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience: 30+ years experience as veterinary tech and 15+ years experience doing reptile rescues.