Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

my baby beardie is shedding. but not eating much. and wont

my baby beardie is shedding. but not eating much. and wont lay flat head is straight up in the air its been almost a week . gave her a warm bath with pedialyte and she finally went to the bathroom after almost a week ...looked normal but small amount. basking spot aprrox. 115 during the day cool spot at around 80-85 degrees. she is in a 20 gal tank with 100watt basking bulb and 15watt desert 50 uvb bulb. im really worried !

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet Tech with special interest in Reptiles and reptile rescue.

Can you tell me the type of substrate you are using?

Diet Prey/veggies?

Supplements?

Is the Dragon gaping(mouth open when laying in the basking area)?

How do you measure the temps?

Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i use plain white papertowels. i usually feed crickets every few days or so and always keep nature zone baby bites soft food in the tank. and was giving mill worms but just stopped a few days ago. no veggies tried collards but stopped when she didnt eat them.i dust her crickets and food with reptocal that has vitamin d3 in it. no her mouth doesnt stay open for the most part its always closed every now and again i'll notice she looks like shes trying to swallow then it'll open for a second then close again. i also noticed a little covering over her left nostril that goes in and out when she breaths. and far as temps ive been using the petco stick on circle humidity and temperature gauges. but just bought a temp gun today.

The shed over the nostrils need to be gently removed. Those are nasal plugs from the shed. You should be able to pop it off with a finger nail. What you are describing is gaping which can be due to the tank being too warm. The stick on thermometers can be off as much as 20* either way, so I would get a digital probe thermometer to get an accurate reading.The temp gun is great, but takes practice to get an accurate reading. The UVB bulb you are using is way too weak. Dragons need a Reptisun 10.0 florescent tube, that stretches the length of the tank. The UVB can have bearing on activity levels and appetite. It is not unusual for a dragon not to eat as much when shedding. The diet should be 80% prey and 20% veggies. The live prey should include crickets, roaches, silk worms, phoenix worms and Goliath worms. Meal worms and super worms are too high in chitin which is the hard outer shell. Wax worms are like feeding candy. As far as veggies, lettuce holds no nutritional value and carrots if given too often can actually cause eye problems. I suggest collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, butternut squash and various berries for a treat. This is a good food chart: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutritionframeset.html

I would start using a plain calcium because the D3 can cause neurological issues. The plain calcium is metabolized in the body when the calcium is used in conjunction with the UVB light.

Right now I would continue with the soaks daily and try some different prey and veggies. They do need to be fed daily. I think once the temps are adjusted and the shed is done she should be ok. If she is still not doing well a Herp Vet visit may be needed for a fecal and exam hands on. I can locate a Herp Vet for you with a state. Please let me know if you have further questions. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thanks alot ! there is one thing i did forget to mention i would say maybe twice at the most since i had her the humidity gauge went higher than 50% but ive been keeping it below that since then. do you think that has anything to do with her behavior ? and i live in the state of New Jersey.

That should not have made a difference. I live in FL, and we have high humidity many days and usually does not cause problems if it does not stay high on a constant basis. The shedding can have a great bearing on what is happening. I also suspect that there may be a parasite issue coming out of a Pet shop. This is a link for Herp Vets in NJ: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/newjersey.html Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thank you so much !

You are very welcome. Please do not forget to please rate my service. My goal was to give you 100% Excellent service. Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mini. How is everything going?

Joan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the check up ! I just purchased the repti sun 10.0 uvb bulb today and i switched from the 100 watt basking bulb to a 75 watt house bulb (bright white though). So im still monitoring her .I gave her another warm bath with the pedialyte and that's been making her poop but i think i may still have to make a trip to the vet because she's still sleeping with her head straight to the ceiling and i noticed that her nostrils have clear fluid coming to the surface . In the mean time can i purchase anything over the counter for this until i can get her to one ?

This may be a respiratory issue going on since the immune system is down. Right now just keep the Temps up and continue with what you are doing. I am sure the Vet will put her on an antibiotic to help clear things up. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thanks!