Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience as veterinary tech and 15+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My iguana I have had for years, about 4 ft. long. Always been

My iguana I have had for years, about 4 ft. long. Always been a hog on eating. Turned an orange color and now will not eat. Drinks water, basks in the sun but doesnt eat. I have fed him with a spoon with pellets combined with fruits and veggys, but time for him to go to outdoor cage.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

An orange color in a male Iguana can indicate breeding season. Since you have a female and she has turned orange and has gone off food, this can indicate a serious problem like Kidney Disease or severe Dehydration. This may also indicate that she is gravid.

To be on the safe side, I suggest that you get Princess into the bath tub for a long warm soak (at least 30-40 mins). If you can add a couple of bottles of Pedialyte eletrolyte replacer. This will help if this is dehydration, since Reptiles can absorb fluids through the vent area.

Princess should be seen by a Herp Vet to be examined and most likely will need some subcutaneous fluids since she is not eating.

If the is Kidney Disease she will need treatment from the Herp Vet. If you supply a State, I can locate a Herp Vet for you.

This is some information on Kidney Disease in Iguanas: http://www.anapsid.org/iguana/kidneyfailure.html

Please let me know if you need further help. My goal is to give you 100% Excellent service. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not sure if boy or girl. She turned orange a month ago, then went back to green, still not eating, then turned orange again when outside on porch.

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

If it is a Male, Orange and not eating, means that it is breeding season and very common for this to happen. Males in breeding season will turn color and go off food. This is a link on sexing Iguanas with pictures: http://www.repticzone.com/articles/sexingiguanas.html

In either case it would be wise to have your Iguana checked out to be sure it is not a medical issue and they caneven sex the Iguan for you. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am in Corpus Christi, TX suggest where I take him?

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

This is links for Reptile Vets in TX:

***Tim Tristan, DVM, DABVP****
Specialist Reptile & Amphibian Practice
7721 S. Staples Street
Corpus Christi, TX 78413
(361)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/strong>
www.vcaosocreek.com

Melissa Francis, DVM
Wooldridge Creek Animal Hospital
5650 Wooldridge Rd.
Corpus Christi, TX 78414
(361)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/texas.html

Joan

Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience: 30+ years experience as veterinary tech and 15+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Maribeth,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Princess. How is everything going?

Joan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I went ahead and put him in the external large cage outside, where he can climb and lay on branches. That afternoon he turned really orange. I looked at your pictures and because his head has a large crown on it, he must be a male. He has plenty of food in cage and water or stream of water, on the floor in cage. He laid in the water and I sprayed him with hose for about 7 min. and he seemed fine. Not sure if he ate yet. However he did knock a food bowl to the floor without spilling it. So I will watch to see if he eats it.

He has been laying on floor basking in sun and goes up on branches in evening. Doesn't act sick, just not eating.

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Hi

If your Ig is a Male that can account for the appetite loss, because this is breeding season and they will go off food during that time. I would ocntinue to monitor him. You may want to give him a large stuffed animal, sometimes that will help relieve the stress of breeding season for a male Iguana. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will he tear it up or be afraid of it? Certain size or color?

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I would get a good size one without any buttons or things that can be swallowed. male Iguanas will use a stuffed animal to relieve their sexual inhibitions by using a stuffed animal to masturbate. This may help relieve him and help him to go back and eat. This link will help explain what we see during mating season. It shows a male with a stuffed animal: http://www.greenigsociety.org/breedingseason.htm Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I put the stuffed animal in cage and wrapped with a green tee shirt and put it up in the branches where he likes to lay. I strayed him with water about 5 min. and the water makes a little pond he can lay in. He looks like he ate lettuce,( spring greens) and strawberries. Basked in the sun today.

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like you are on the right track! Just keep up the great work. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for all your advice and pictures where I could see exactly what you were talking about. Again thank you