Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

Hi,I have a baby Mexican Black Kingsnake. He skipped his

I have a baby Mexican Black Kingsnake. He skipped his past two or three meals, so I inspected him today. His mouth seems to be fused shut. He used to eat ravenously. I tried to gently pry it open, but did not use any force. No luck. Can't figure out why. I've never seen this before. I can't soak his mouth or he'll drown.

Any ideas?
Hello, I'm sorry to hear about your snake.

Unfortunately, I don't feel as though there is much you can do for this snake at home. I would NOT soak his mouth for fear of causing more issues. He likely has an infection of the mouth which needs to be treated with antibiotics. If you do not treat with antibiotics then the infection will migrate into his lungs and cause respiratory disease possibly eventual death. A veterinarian will have to prescribe antibiotics for your snake.

Is he currently under a UV light? If not, he can develop severe skeletal abnormalities which may be causing this problem.

I'm sorry we cannot do more for you here but I would strongly encourage you to visit your local reptile vet asap before it's too late. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Dr. Rosol, Veterinarian
Experience: Currently working in a general veterinary practice.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The problem is I cannot find a good reptile vet where I live, which is eastern Ft. Lauderdale.

The problem is how to get his mouth open to even culture him. I'm going to hold his mouth underwater for a few seconds and see if he drinks. If not, he's dead shortly anyway.

About the U.V., you are a doctor and a learned man, so I say this respectfully, XXXXX XXXXX the big breeders or collectors use U.V. light on snakes. Lizards, yes. Turtles, Yes. I myself and all the breeders out there have successfully kept snakes for DECADES without U.V., and they spend most of their lives in drawers with hardly any ambient light as well. I myself keep my snakes in ExoTerra display cages, but use belly heat.

Can you direct me to some credible research results that back up your statement?

Thank you.

I will give you an excellent, although I disagree with your statement..

You are partially correct and I apologize for not being clear. There talk (among the veterinary community) that UV light is of benefit for green tree pythons and boas, but most other snakes is it not required. However, more research needs to be conducted to prove or disprove if UV light is of benefit to other snakes.

Here is one article that is credible, altough this is on cornsnakes...
http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs/10.2460/ajvr.69.2.294

So, there are some 'suspected' benefits of having UV light but in general is not required. Hope this answers you question! And thank you for the positive rating, much appreciated.
Dr. Rosol, Veterinarian

I wanted to give you some Reptile Vets that you could take your Snake to see. I live in Fl. and know some of the Vets listed, If you do not mind traveling, I can find you some others, but these are the closest to Ft Lauderdale:

Paula Engle
Wiles Road Animal Hospital
8008 Wiles Rd
Coral Spgs
33067
305-752-1879

Amanda Grant and Susan Kelleher *****Recommended by keepers
Broward Avian and Exotic Animal Hospital
1730 N University Ave
Coral Springs
33071
954-968-7171

XXXXX XXXXX
5700 SW 130th Ave
Ft Lauderdale 33330

(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

You may have to travel a little but well worth having the snake seen.

Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will contact one of them now.

Can I ask you how you saw this? Another vet responded before you, and I thought the question was closed? Can multiple experts answer the same question, or did the first one open it up again?

I don't mind at all, just curious. I'll give you an excellent.

Thanks

The question was not closed and multiple Experts can answer if the question is not closed or you can always relist for further opinions.

I am a Reptile Expert here on the site and I did not see the post until the other Expert had responded. I live in Fl and know many of the Reptile Vets through Reptile Rescue work that I do. I tried to find the closest Reptile Vets to your vicinity.

I want to make a suggestion for first aid. Please take some Diluted Betadine and water to tea color and gently wipe the edges of your snakes mouth with a soft cloth. If this is Stomatitis, it would be a first step in the treatment along with seeing the Vet for antibiotics. To make sure the snake stays hydrated you can supprt the snake in a 50/50 warm water and Pedialyte soak. This will help with hydration since Reptiles do absorb fluids through the vent area. Please let me know if you need further help. I will be happy to assist you any way possible. I also concur that I do not believe this is a UVB issue creating MBD, This sounds more like an infection like stomatitis. My goal is to give you 100% Excellent service. Joan

Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience: 35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.