Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

A log fell on my baby bearded dragon how can I tell if he is

A log fell on my baby bearded dragon how can I tell if he is injured?

How big is Harvey?

Was the log that fell heavy?

Is the Dragon moving normally?

Any problem with breathing?

Where was he hit? Head, Back, etc?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Harvey is nose to tail 10 inches. The log was a curved one he sits on. He is moving normally. B reathing normally. He was moving and it seemed to hit him on hit r side of back below his neck. His beard is really really dark but fading. He is not bleeding, This is my first reptile.

I would like to do some first aid to relax him and see how he responds. He got black because of the stress issue from being hit. Lets start with a warm soak and if you have any Pedialyte in the house, I would like you to add some 50/50 to the warm water and give him a soak for about 15 mins. This will help relax him and should help reduce the stress level. Once he has been soaked, please take him out and dry him. Allow him to walk around and see if there is any limping or problems with movement. If all seems ok, you can put him back in the warm tank and put him to sleep for the night if he is ok.

I would like to touch on some husbandry issues since you are new to reptiles. Please use a solid substrate. No sand, bark, desert blend or other loose substrates. They can cause serious issues. Make sure you have a good UVB bulb as well as a basking bulb for warmth. The best UVB is the Reptisun florescent tube 10.0. Use a plain calcium supplement 5 days a week and vitamins 2 days a week. Diet under a year is 80% live prey and 20% leafy greens and other veggies. This changes after a year to 80% Veggies and 20% prey. The temps should be 105*F-110*F in the basking area, 90's in the warm side and 80's in cool side. Please let me know how he is doing after the soak. If there is any issues with him walking or moving, then I can locate a Herp Vet for you with a State. My Goal is 100% Excellent Service. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He seemed to enjoy his soak, usually he does not. He is walking ok. He gets crickets in AM and PM and greens in afternoon. He does not really like the greens I have offered except for Romaine. I have offered kale, green beans, dandelion greens, carrots only once, streawberries, banana, apple, I also give him very small mealworms occasionally. thank you for your help, I will have to look for a reptile vet in case of emergency. Also I dust his food with reptovite 5 days a week.

You need need to use a Plain Calcium supplement 5 days a week and the Repti Vite 2 days a week. They need the plain calcium to prevent Metabolic Bone Disease. If you would like me to locate a Herp Vet, Please supply a State and I will get you some listings. My goal is to give you 100% Excellent Service. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would need a vet in Pittsburgh PA which is north of my home.

This link has all PA Reptile Vets:

This is one more that is listed in the ARAV:

Dr Robert Wagner
102 Maruth Drive
Pittsburgh, PA 15237

Please do not forget to rate my service before leaving the site. I want to be sure I have met my goal of Excellent Service. Joan

Hi Bea,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Harvey. How is everything going?