Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

A black-ish lizard with a white stripe down the middle of its

A black-ish lizard with a white stripe down the middle of it's body somehow got into my apartment. I've tried to catch it, but it's too fast! I think it may be "relieving" it's self and their is a foul odor in the air, do lizard urinate like snakes do when trying to be caught?

Also, any suggestions as to how to get rid of this lizard?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 4 years ago.

Does this look like the lizard you have spotted in the house?

What State do you live in?

Joan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, no spots. It has a thick white stripe down the center of it's back and I think thinner white stripes on either side of the center stripe.
Expert:  Joan replied 4 years ago.

Does it look more like this Lizard?

Coloration may vary from what you had seen, but trying to see what type of lizard we are dealing with. can you tell me what State you are in?

Joan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That's kind of it, the one in my apartment is about 7 in. long, but it's grown since first seeing it about 3 weeks ago. I live in Virginia.
Expert:  Joan replied 4 years ago.

I suspect you are seeing a Five Lined Skink which are common in VA. This is a link about them: http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/five-lined_skink.htm

If scared they can give off an odor. The droppings are a small piece of black and a little white which is the urates (hardened urine).

Skinks will get in any cracks or crevices they can. They eat insects as a diet. There is not way to keep them out other than sealing all cracks and area they can get in to the house.

The best thing you can do is get some stick traps to catch any that may get in
and seal all areas of the home where they can enter.

These are what the sticky traps look like: http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page99.html You can usually find sticky traps at Lowes or Home Depot.

These lizards are harmless, but just bothersome if they come inside.

Joan

Please hit Repy to Expert for help. If satisfied with my answer please
press the SMILEY FACE.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How big do these things get? I would hate to wake up with one of these things on my bed or something like that. Everytime I've tried approaching it, it runs into another room.....
Expert:  Joan replied 4 years ago.

It sounds like the skink is full grown. They usually get to 7"-8" The best thing you could do is to try the sticky traps. They are very effective. Unfortunately with the heat this year even the wildlife is trying to find a place that is cooler to hide.

Joan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks very much for your help, I'll get the sticky traps and lay them out. If I catch one I'll take out to the woods out back and try and release it. Can you email me url for the sticky traps to XXXXXXXXXXXXXX?
Expert:  Joan replied 4 years ago.

You can order the sticky traps here. The small is what you need: http://www.bugsaway.com/catalog/glueboards-c-28.html

We can not email off the site due to our Terms of Service.

Joan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay about the email....One final question seeing my dog just go running thru reminded me of? Are these lizards dangerous to dogs, she was the first to notice it and I'm afraid she's going to catch it and kill it. I read something about blue-tail skinks will drop their tails and it can cause PVD in cats and dogs. Is there any real worry with that?

Expert:  Joan replied 4 years ago.

The lizards are not toxic, but will give off a bad taste and cause salivating and some nausea and vomiting. In some cases it can cause Vestibular issues, but usually will resolve itself quickly. Most lizards use the tail drop as a defense mechanisim to be able to get away from animals. Joan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you very much for all your help, have a good evening.
Expert:  Joan replied 4 years ago.

Hope that you can resolve catching the Skink. Joan