Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience as veterinary tech and 15+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

I have a leopard gecko that is impacted with exoskeletons.

I have a leopard gecko that is impacted with exoskeletons. I am feeding him a liquid diet of lizard powder, pedialyte, and turkey baby food. We have been soaking him in warm water and oil each day, he pooped out a little black stuff 5 days ago, now it is only yellow white poop from the liquid diet. His belly is hard, with dark clumps in his intestine. He seems to walk OK, he will still snap at me when feeding. He has not eaten crickets for two weeks now. His eyes are sunken and not open wide. We have fed him olive and or mineral oil, with no effect.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 2 years ago.

Please do not use the oils as they can be aspirated into the lungs. You can try a little baby food prunes to see if it helps move what looks to be an impaction, but if it does not seem to clear, the Leo will need to see a Herp Vet. Some of the darkened areas can also be organs that you are seeing.

I would continue with the soaks and gently massage the abdomen from front to vent.

I would make sure the temps are anywhere in the range of 84-88*F in the warm area. The heat aids with digestion and may help get things moving.

If you need a Herp Vet, please supply a State and I can locate one for you. The Herp Vet may prescribe lactulose or parafin to help move the impaction. If bad enough the Vet may suggest surgical intervention. Joan

Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience: 30+ years experience as veterinary tech and 15+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am in Califoria, SF Bay area

Thanks,

Frank
Expert:  Joan replied 2 years ago.

Hi Frank,

This is a link for the Herp Vets in Northern CA: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/califn.html

This one is recommended by other reptile keepers:

* Alex Herman
All Pets Hospital
269 S Van Ness Ave
San Francisco 94103-3733
415-861-5725