Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience as veterinary tech and 15+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

Hi, my leopard gecko has started spasms that start with an

Hi, my leopard gecko has started spasms that start with an arching of her back, then tail thrashing, followed by head thrashing from side to side. She has a solid substrate on the floor, plenty of heat but hasn't eaten in two days. I am doing the pedialyte soak and tried chicken baby food but won't touch it. Her arms are shriveling up and she is barely moving. If she does, she only moves by her front, weak legs. She also seems to be "sweating" around her head. We can't afford to take her to a specialty vet but I want to do what I can and keep her comfortable without giving up. I didn't realize that she needed a supplement in addition to gut loading the crickets and she does have a broken front leg from a couple of months ago. I have to help her catch the crickets. She is about 4-5 months old. Help?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 2 years ago.

What you are seeing is the result of Metabolic Bone Disease. Without having the calcium, it is leaving the Leo seizuring. I suggest getting the Leo into a Herp Vet as you have done all you can at home. The Herp vet will have to administer calcium supplements to help bring the Leo out of this problem. I do suggest getting a UVB light on the enclosure to help metabolize calcium in the body. We normally do not use them for Leos, but with yours being in bad shape it may help. A Reptisun 10.0 tube type bulb placed no more than 12" from the Leo. You can continue to try and get the clacium into her with the baby food. place a drop on the snout and allow her to lick it off. I can lcoate a herp Vet for you with a State. A Visit usually runs $45-$65 . I would also add a dish of calcium to the tank for her to lick. Joan

Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience: 30+ years experience as veterinary tech and 15+ years experience doing reptile rescues.