Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

i think my beardeddragon has a broken back. as he is only crawing

i think my beardeddragon has a broken back. as he is only crawing and not useing his back legs
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

How old is the Dragon?

Can you tell me about the set up?

Diet Prey/Veggies?

Substrate?

Heat source and temp?

Supplements? Type?

UVB light? How old? Type coil or tube? Strength?

Is the Dragon passing stool?

Did the Dragon take a fall?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my bearded is about 6months old . his tank are all up to date with the proper lights. the problem happen as our cat got hold of him . as i fed him a nd turned my back , i had left door open when feeding him .
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

If the cat injured him, this can be very serious as a cat bite can kill a Dragon. The Mouth and claws of a cat are high bacteria areas and can cause an ifection. If it is an injury form the cat, you will need to keep the Dragon confined in a small area of the tank. Make sure that you hand feed and keep the water close by. We want as little movement as possible. The Dragon will need to be see by a Herp Vet for an X ray of the spine.

I am going to give you a link for Herp Vets in Ireland: http://www.livefoods.co.uk/vets.php#Ireland

There is no home treatment if this was an injury from the cat. The Vet will X ray and gove some Pain medication and possibly an anti inflammatory, to help reduce swelling and to try and get movement back. I am sure they will also give an antibiotic. Joan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
your answer is giving me the empression that it is not a brokrn back . ps can they get a broken backs . and if it is broken can it be quired .
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

Without an X ray we will not know if the spine is injured or broken or maybe just sprained or another type of injury. The Vet can treat it if it is a disc issue, sprain or not as serious as a break. The first thing is to start an antibiotic, and pain medication. An anti infammator will take swelling out from an injury and allow healing. The whole thing will depend on the Herp Vet's findings. Joan