Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285
Reptile

We have aquired a horned lizard. He will not eat. We have tried

small crickets, purchased harvester ants... Show More
small crickets, purchased harvester ants, and was also told that they will eat meal worms. We have supplied him with all three and he will not eat. He has lots of ambition. He buries himself every night and is up every day. He has not eaten in two weeks. We are in Montana and the weather is starting to get cool. His aquarium has got 3" of sand and heated. We mist him daily. Can someone tell me what the problem is?
Thank you,
Jeff

Is this a Mountain Horned Dragon?

Do you have a UVB light? How old? Tube or coil and strength?

What are you temps?

Have you had a fecal done?

Is it Wild caught or captive bred?

Joan

Customer reply replied 5 years ago.

Yes it is a mountan Horned

we do not have a UVB light

Temps are 80 to 83 deg.

Have not had a fecal done

Mountain Horned Dragons ar not easy keepers, that is why I asled if it is just a horned Lizard or a Mountain Horned Dragon.

I just need to be sure which one you have.

This is a Mountained Horned Dragon: http://www.the-lizard-lounge.com/content/gallery/lizard-pictures/mountain-horned-dragon-01.asp

This is a horned lizard:

Just want to be sure. Joan

Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
It is a horned lizard

These lizards are desert dwellers and should be feed the Harvester ants. The meal worms and crickets are high in chitin(outer shell) and hard for them to digest. They also need the secretions from the ants to stay healthy. Their jaws are not very strong, so the ants are the best food.

You should be using a UVB light as well as a heat lamp. The UVB needs to be changed every 6 months. The Lizard also needs a calcium and vitamin supplement to work with the UVB light.

These are normally wild caught lizards and can be a big problem if you are not familiar with them. Since most are wild caught they do carry parasites and if stressed the parasites can over take the Lizard. They are also very shy and may not eat if being watched. Another issue you may be facing is the change in temps. Reptiles can go into Brumation which is a hibernating state and stay like that for 12-15 weeks as long as the temps are down. At this point I suggest a Herp Vet visit to be checked for parasites and to see if something is going on. This is a link to a Vet good care sheet: http://www.repticzone.com/forums/HornedLizards/messages/1310412.html

I am also going to give you a link for Herp Vets in MT: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/montana.html

These are not often kept and are not a beginner Lizard. Joan

Customer reply replied 5 years ago.

What should the temp be

The temps should be: Basking side: low 100's make sure it stays less than 110*F. 105* is pretty musch the optimum. It may reach 115*F below the basking light, which is fine if But the tank needs to leave enough of an even gradient temperature to go through the wholehabitat.

Cool side: 80's to 85*F.

Joan