Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

We found a baby snake, it was red, about 8 long and the

We found a "baby" snake, it was red, about 8" long and the body shape was very small at the head and tail, and a good bit wider in the middle. The body of the snake had a ridge down the back from head to tail (I think it started just behind the head) that had a yellow stripe the full length of the snake. It had a round head and eyes, not triangular like a viper. We let it go in the woods, hoping it would eat the "bad critters" not the good. We'd never seen one like it, but this is, of course Louisiana where anything is possible! Thanks! Jim & Kay Jackson
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

Does this look like the snake you had seen?

Joan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no. It was kind of a rust color red, very small head & tail, about the same size but, of course, the head had the eyes/mouth, etc. I wish I could draw a picture of it for you but I can;t.
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

Does this look more like them:

or this one:

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It looked more like the red one in the top picture.
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

Those are Red bellied snakes. Their color can differ with size, age,and temp. It eats small rodents and insects as well as toads etc. The are non venomous and nice snakes. I am so glad you took the time to relocate the snake where it has a better home. Joan