Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

My Bearded Dragon has had a clear liquid draining from her

My Bearded Dragon has had a clear liquid draining from her eyes and it's causes sand to get in them. This has been for about two weeks
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

How old is the Dragon?

Can you tell me about the set up?

Diet Prey/Veggies?

Heat source and temp?

UVB light? How old? Type coil or tube?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
4.5 years
30 gallon tank, water bowl/food bowl, wood log
romaine lettuce, red cabbage, crickets
all natural Reptilite calcium substrate
reptile heating pad, 2 heat lamps that are 100 watt bulbs
i feed the crickets gel water and cricket calcium enriched food from Zilla
u-v lamp 4 years, tube
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

You have some husbandry issues which can be causing the Dragon problems. Sand can cause intestinal impactions, skin problems and corneal ulcers. The sand may be the cause of the eye problems. It is an irritant. You can try usine some Plain Sterile saline eye drops to flush the eyes. I would however go to a solid substrate like tile. cage carpet, paper or slate. Warning picture may be graphic: sand

The basking area should have 110*-115*F and the cool side of the tank in the 90* range. You need to have a day time basking bulb as well as a UVB. Your UVB light should be mo more than 6 months old as they loose potency after 6 months. I recommend the tube type Reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb. The UVB should be a tube type not a coils as the coil can injure the eyes. compact UVB problems:

The UVB bulb should not have any plastic between it and the Dragon, it needs to rund the length of the tank and be no more than 12" from the Dragon. Both lights should run daily for 12-14 hours a day.

The diet is incorrect too. There should never be lettuce given as there is no nutritional value. You should be feending Collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, escarole and curly endives. Butternut squash and various berries are great for a treat. The Veggies should be put in fresh daily, and done about an hour after lights on. They need 80% veggies daily and 20% live prey. The live prey should include crickets, silk worms, roaches, goliath worms and phoenix worms. They should fed all that can be eaten in 15 mins daily. All veggies and prey should be dusted with calcium daily 5 days a week and vitamins 2 days a week. If you can get the husbandry straightened out. I do suggest a Herp vet visit to rule out any parasite issues yearly. I can locate a Herp Vet for you with a city and state. I am also goving you my care sheet to help with the husbandry. Joan

Bearded Dragon Care Sheet

• Bearded dragons should be housed alone.

• Ages of bearded dragons follow these guidelines:

1. 0-3 months- baby
2. 3-12 months-juvenile
3. 12-18 months- sub adult
4. 18 months + -adult

• Bearded dragons live as much as 10-12 years if well cared for properly.
  • Bearded dragons have a very good temperament as long as they are cared for and handled.
  • When you bring your baby home, it may be quite stressful to him/her to get use to new home. May not eat well the first 2-3 days. They may not need to be handled the first 2-3 days if skittish and nervous.
  • Never use sand or any other type of loose substrate: Loose substrates can cause impaction (not being able to go Poop) in all ages of bearded dragons- they lick their environment to explore .It is difficult to keep germ free and clean. Ceramic tile, newspaper, non adhesive shelf liner and reptile carpet is what is most recommended. Use paper towels for the little one and as they get bigger you can change to something else.
  • Be sure you keep your beardies home as clean as you can. Clean up by spot cleaning when needed. Clean & sanitize entire tank every 10-14 days. A good cleaning solution is a 20% bleach solution. If you choose to use wood climbing branches etc, these should be soaked in the bleach solution and rinsed well. Then bake in 250 degree oven for 30 minutes.
  • Need a climbing accessory: to bask and to warm up under basking heat light and lower branches or platforms to come down and cool off.
  • A hide of some sort like a cave.
  • A food dish and water dish.
  • Plastic spray bottle
  • Can use artificial plants when they get older- 3 months or so.
  • Digital thermostat and/or temp gun
  • Tank size: Minimal size tank for this age is 20 gallon long
  • Minimal size for older beardie: 4 months of age: 40 gallon breeder is the minimal tank size for older dragon. Can divide a 40 gallon breeder for a smaller dragon. Must have two lights for your beardie.

1. A UVB light source-best is 10.0 Reptisun that runs the length of your tank. Your dragon must have this light to metabolize calcium. If not he will get metabolic bone disease, a serious condition. You can also take your beardie outside to bask in the sun for 15 minutes each day if your temps are 80 degrees or above outside. You can purchase cages or reptariums from your pet store. Never leave a beardie outside unattended.
2. A basking type light that puts out heat and warmth above basking spot. Your beardie must have warmth to digest food & thrive.

• Lights should be on for 12-14 hours each day. Follow the seasons and light timers are a great luxury if you can get them. 6 dollars at Lowe's. No lights or warmth needed at night unless your temperatures get below 62 degrees. If they do, there are ceramic heat emitters that put out no light, only heat. Use these at night if temperatures fall below 62 degrees.

• Temperatures have to be kept at the following ranges during the day:

Babies: Warm basking log: 105-125 degrees F
Cool side: 85-90
Adults: Warm basking spot: 110-115
Cool side: 80-85
Measure temperatures with a digital probe type thermometer or a temp gun-these are most accurate. Stick on thermometers unreliable.

• Feeding a Beardie: Beardies eat live prey consisting of crickets, roaches and/or silkworms. Never feed any size of mice to your beardie. Never feed meal worms. They also must be given greens/veggies everyday. The younger they are the more live prey they should have. As they grow older the live prey decreases and the veggies/greens should be the major part of diet. Never feed anything bigger, than the space between your beardie's eyes. This includes both live prey and pieces of veggies/greens,
  • A chopper or food processor is a huge help when your beardie is small. Always offer greens and veggies: collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, cabbage, red cabbage, fresh green beans, yellow summer squash, butternut squash, sweet potato, cactus pad. Apricots, strawberries, apples, blueberries, raspberries, cantaloupe- fruits are treats only.
  • What is live prey? The easiest and less expensive live prey is crickets when you have a young or first beardie. The other live preys you can feed are silkworms, and special types of roaches. You can learn to raise your own live prey. Treats can be wax worms, super worms, and tomato/Goliath worms. You may find that ordering live prey from the internet is the way to go..... Never leave live prey or greens/veggies in tank overnight. . Crickets can bite your beardie when sleeping.
  • Babies should get 80% live prey, and 20 % greens/veggies. But since the greens/veggies are a must when they are older, get them eating their greens/veggies very early. Give greens/veggies in small pieces everyday. You should eventually start decreasing your older dragon's protein intake when they are about a year to 15 months old. Their protein intake decreases to 20 % live prey and 80% veggies/greens.
  • A baby eat 50-75 crix a day depnding on the size of the crickets. Never feed crix or veggies bigger than the space between your beardie's eyes. Use this guide when buying crix or chopping your greens/veggies.
  • You must provide calcium dust without D3 and multivitamin dust for your beardie. You should dust the live prey with calcium one time a day, and vitamins 3 times a week. Just collect your live prey into baggie and add enough calcium and vitamin to dust them. Then pour a few at a time into your tank. Some people feed their beardie in a separate tank so that no crickets can hide. Or some take out "furniture" from tank and feed this way. As they get older, 4-5 months or so dust live prey with calcium 3 times a week.
  • Feed the veggies/ greens 1st thing in morning after lights on for one hour at least. Then after 2-3 hours offer crix. Then freshen green/veggies. Then give more crix. Make sure after last crix feeding there is at least 1-2 hours of lights so that they can digest their food before night time.

*Beardies over the age of one year old during the winter months will go into a Brumation like most Reptiles and Herps. It is a form of Hibernation that is governed by the weather and time of year. The lights should be on a shorter period at this time. Fresh greens should be available during this period. Do not feed live prey during Brumation.

Water: Mist your little one with the spray bottle 3-4 times a day. You can also offer a small dish of water in your enclosure but be sure your dragon is not too small to drown in it. It is recommended that when your beardie is 2 months old you can bathe your baby in a small plastic container with warm water- not hot. It will help them to stay hydrated. As they get older you can move up to the bathroom sink and then to the bathtub. Very important for bath enclosure to be thoroughly cleaned and rinsed prior to bath time. Clean between dragons too if bathing more than one.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask. I like to start people off with proper husbandry and then see if I can further assist. This is for fruits and Vegetables

Walnut shell Graphic:

sexing bearded Dragons:

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We have been using this substrate for a long while so I'm not sure this is the problem although I'll take your advice about it and the other factors we have including changing the uv bulb. Any other suggestions on why her eyes could be watering and should I see a vet asap and does it sound like she'll need antibiotics? If so I'll take her sooner than waiting especially since I'm going out of town soon.
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

I understand you have been using the calci sand for a long time, but over that time it does accumulate in the abdomen and eventually there will be problems. It can irritate the eyes and I have seen it cause corneal ulcers. It would be wise to have the eyes checked by a Herp Vet to rule out ulceration and other medical issue as dietary issues can also cause eye problems. I will be happy to locate a Herp Vet for you with a city and state. Joan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

If you could supply a herp vet I'd appreciate it. I live in NW Indiana on the border of Illinios and am close to Chicago and it's suburbs. If there is one close in Indiana that would be great. Thanks