Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

What type of snake is black with a white diamond like pattern

What type of snake is black with a white diamond like pattern on it's back?
Thanks for your help!

Can you tell me what state you live in? This will make it easier to try and identify the snake you had seen. Joan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, I live in NW Georgia, just outside of Atlanta. I also live on a mountain with lots of rocks and 15 heavily wooded acres, if that helps...

Thanks

Does this look like the snake?

Photo: XXXXX XXXXX diamondback rattlesnake

Joan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, it was slim and about 4 ft. long.

Is this more like this?

Joan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The white markings were not bands. They were an actually a pattern of diamonds down the middle of it's back.

Here is another as there are so many species that are similiar, and the patterns can vary from juvenile to adult:

species photo

Joan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, this isn't it either. It did appear to be in the process of shedding it's skiin, if that helps you determine it age. As I said, it was slim and about 4 ft. long. It's head was rather narrow,

Lets try this one:

Garter Snake - Thamnophis sirtalis

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It was long and thin like this one, but the markings were totally different. It's head was also shaped very differently. I'd say it was about 75% black with the white markings covering other 25%. I'm not sure what color it's belly was.... I've never seen a snake like it. In researching tthis on the internet several people were asking about this same species, but noone could answer the questions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Also, if it helps, there is no water located anywhere near my property.

I suspect that this is a juvenile black Racer as they do live in the area. As a juvenile it would be ready to shed and does have some patterning on the back. They are non vemomous, but can be very obnoxious is challanged. I could not find a good picture for you. All the other snakes you said no to were all from the region. The one diamond back was an eastern diamond back rattler which is venomous. That ws the first picture. Joan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Just a couple more questions... Is it true that if there's one, there are others nearby? Also, is there any dependable way to keep snakes out of the yard? I understand the product "Snake Away" is not very effective.

Thank you for all your help

Snakes are solitary and do not travel in groups. They are hunting prey, which can be other snakes, rodents, toads, lizards, etc. As far as keeping them away, what I suggest is clearing the perimeter of all shrubs and not leave wood piles or hiding places where they can get a meal. If you eliminate the food source and hiding places, they should not hang around. There is no guaranteed product that keeps snakes away. A Mongoose is not legal in the US to be kept as a pet. Joan