Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

can i build a snake cage out of pine wood and seal it and it

Customer Question

can i build a snake cage out of pine wood and seal it and it be safe for my snakes
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.

Using pine or cedar to make a cage isn't a good idea. Both of these woods emit volatile oils which can cause a variety of health problems. Other woods would be safe. Some snake owners do use pine to frame up a cage and then use wire, glass, or Plexiglas for the main part of the cage. The chances of a problem are fewer with this method, but I still do not recommend it. There are safer materials to use. The following site has much information on constructing snake cages:

Cages

If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY.

Anna

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on the green ACCEPT button. Thank you.)