Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

how can i get my snake out of a town house wall

Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

When was the snake fed last?

Is the townhouse airconditioned?

Could you get a tube into the area where the snake is hiding?

How far up in the wall is the snake?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
he was fed on friday. yes the house has air conditioning, idk about the other two questions
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

I have an idea of what may work to get him down, but it depends how far up in the wall he is and if you can get a hose int the wall where he entered. You can use a can of Freon that is used for automotive airconditioners. Insert the hose into the hole where the snake is locate. Let the Freon go into the hole. If it can reach the snake it should drop right down to the bottom, where you can take him out. This should stun him for a short period and he should recover with no ill effects. The other option is to get the house as cold as possible with the AC and shine a spotlight infront of the opening where the snke is. Put some two sided tape down, so if he comes out to bask, he will be stuck to the tape. We can get the tape off with little problems, but we need to get him out of the wall. Joan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks i want to pay you but it says my balance is $58 i only agreed to pay $34. could you give some tips on how you got to where you are i'm studying to be a vet tech and want to work with reptiles?
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

The question is listed for $38.00 and if you accept, that is what will be taken from your balance. I personally took courses at a local School for Veterinary Technician. There are even some courses given online by various technical and on line Schools. I also started my work with Reptiles when I was in my teens growing up and spending time at the Miami Serpentarium, when it was still in Miami, Fl. Bill Haast was a great teacher. He worked with Venomous snakes and developed Antivenin as well as milking snakes for vaccines. Overall I had a good education working with some Veterinary Herpetologists. A good starting point is to volunteer at a Zoo and take the Vet tech courses relating to Reptiles. Please do not forget to accept if my answer has been helpful and positive feedback is welcomed. Joan

Edited by Joan on 11/16/2010 at 6:29 PM EST