Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience as veterinary tech and 15+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

My 2 year old red eared slider wont eat suddenly. He is a

My 2 year old red eared slider won't eat suddenly. He is a male, Speedy Gonzalez. He hasn't eated for 5 days. How long can a turtle go without eating? Is this a common occurrence? It happened 10 months ago but he started eating in 2 days. Please help, Pamela
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 3 years ago.

Can you tell about your set up?

Is the weather getting colder where you live?

Do you have a UVB light? How old? Tube or coil?

Diet?

Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Joan, yes I have a tube-- life glo, 15 watt, I just got a new one today, replaced the old one. It is a 80 gallon tank, clean thoroughly once a week. Has underwater heater and 2filters--Tetra filter at each end of the aquarium. Normally, he eats freeze dried shrimp and crickets and he eats well with no problem. Also, I had been giving a half of earth worm per day. Occasional minnows. Yes, the weather has been getting colder the past three weeks. this is Brownsville, Texas the southern most point of the U.S. (besides Florida where you are from I guess)
Expert:  Joan replied 3 years ago.

During this time of year the Reptiles Brumate and can stay down for at least 12-15 weeks. They will not eat or drink during this time. I weigh them once a week to be sure there is no weight lose. If there is a weight loss and it is significat, I get them into the Herp Vet for an exam. I usually try and weigh them, have a fecal done and be sure all is ok, before brumation. Once a week I actually give a soak in a 50/50 solution of Plain Pedialyte and warm water. This prevents dehydration during the long sleep. The UVB should be on for 8 hours a day. The amount of time in brumation can vary in time they are down. Sometimes we will see them awaken early on, only to go back under a few days later. By giving the Pedialyte soaks during the brumation it helps to maintain, a proper electrolyte balance. Joan

http://lllreptile.com/info/library/care-and-husbandry-articles/-/reptilian-brumation/

Edited by Joan on 11/13/2010 at 2:22 AM EST
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience: 30+ years experience as veterinary tech and 15+ years experience doing reptile rescues.