Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.

Me leopard gecko has been having a hard time shedding on her

Me leopard gecko has been having a hard time shedding on her last two times, and i have been helping her by using a moist cotton ball, and helping her remove it, but she has stopped eating and has become super thin, and her tail is really thin. Also when her skin sheds her body is red instead of yellow. This has never happened before and my other gecko is completly fine. What should I do?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.

Some additional information will help me to answer your question.

Does your gecko's skin stay red, or is it a temporary condition?

What substrate do you use on the floor?

Do you have a moist hide box in the cage?

What si the temperature in the cage?

What is your zip code - so I can find a vet?

Thank you.

Is she passing normal droppings?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well before she shed it was a normal shade of yellow, but now that she has shed it's red, but only in certain areas and it's on temporary. Also I am worried because the skin is stuck between her toes and around her eyes so she's having a hard time using certain toes and seeing out of her left eye( it's completly closed) I have tried to remove it, but the skin won't peel up so i can remove it. The substrate is repti-carpet, and she has acces to a hide box with moist bedding 24/7. Although she never seems to use it, and for the past two day she has only laid by the heating pad. The temp is around 80 and the humidity is arond 50%. Zip is 77845. And as i have noticed her droppings are normal, but not all there because she hasn't eaten and i had to use some drops of water today to give her water. Although I have this yellow moist food for the crickets that I am not sure if she ate or laid eggs because there were two and they were marshmellowy squishy but yellowy. But I'm not sure becuase both my lizards are girls from what i can tell. Although the other is twice the size.
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. I'm going to start with a first aid measure. Buy some unflavored Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). Prepare a shallow bath consisting of 1/2 water and 1/2 Pedialyte. Soak your gecko for about 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Reptiles can absorb the electrolytes and fluids through their vents, so make the water deep enough to cover the vent. After the soak, use a Q-tip to dab a little mineral oil on the skin over the eye and between the toes. Leave it over night. In the morning, give her another soak. Then see if the skin will come off more easily. If not, repeat the treatment. Even after the skin comes off, continue giving your gecko a Pedialyte soak twice a day.

Try raising the temperature a little. Geckos do best at 82* to 88*F day and night.

Female geckos can lay eggs even if no male is present. The eggs are infertile. Laying eggs can lead to all kinds of problems because it's hard on the body. The symptoms your gecko is exhibiting tell us she is very ill. A vet may need to take x-rays and do blood work to reach a diagnosis. The closest vets I could find for you are about 1 1/2 hours away. It isn't unusual to drive that far to see a specialty vet, but if that's too far for you, see if a local vet would be willling to work by phone consulatation with one of the reptile vets. Here they are:

Briarcrest Veterinary Clinic
Larry N. White, DVMXXXXXbr />Houston, TX 77042
Telephone:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />
Gulf Coast Veterinary Specialists
Natalie Antinoff, DVM
1111 West Loop South
Houston, TX 77027
Telephone:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />
Pet Medical Center
Wayne C. Zeh, DVM
501 East Fm 2410 Road
Harker Heights, TX 76548
Telephone:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />

If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your gecko will reach a full recovery.

Edited by MsAM on 7/24/2010 at 2:58 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do I need to remove the other gecko in order to relieve stress? Becuase they live in a 10gallon tank. Does it need to be bigger? And also my gecko has some red spots like the size of her scales where it looks like the skin was irritated, and a week ago like a few days before the two eggish items there was a large blood spot on the rock they use for heat. But I don't know how it happened?
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.
If you have another set up, it would be a good idea to separate the geckos. The blood could be the result fo an egg-laying problem, a fight, or a skin problem. There's no way for us to know. Your gecko possibly has more than one health condition. She may have a fungal or bacterial skin infection. I think it's really important for her to be examined by a vet. you may lose her without veterinary treatment.