Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

my son was bitten by a black snake with a white belly ( probably

Customer Question

my son was bitten by a black snake with a white belly ( probably black racer) in the hudson valley area of new york. He was bitten on the bottom of his foot. There are fang marks but no burning, no inflammation, no swelling etc. The only symptom he experienced is numbness that went up his leg to his hip. he took a benedryl and it receeded and is now only in the foot. Earlier in the evening he reported a level 8 numbness in his foot and how level 4 (same with pain).
I never heard of the numbness as a symptom from a non venonmous snake, have you??
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

The snake you have described is a Black Rat Snake. They are black with white under the neck and a light colored underbelly. The have a very painful bite, but are non venomous. The foot has a lot of nerve endings, so getting bitten on the foot and the numbness or pain is common for that area, with the amount of nerve endings. If you would like medical advice I can send this over to the Health Category, since I can only advise you on the snake. Joan

Edited by Joan on 7/6/2010 at 2:22 AM EST