Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience as veterinary tech and 15+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

What does it mean if a Chameleon looks Bloated and weak with

Customer Question

What does it mean if a Chameleon looks Bloated and weak with a little shade of Blue?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 4 years ago.

Can you tell me what type of substrate you are using?

Is the Chameleon passing stool?

Do you have a dripper or mister for the Chameleon?

What do you feed?

Do you use supplements?

UVB light? What type tube or coil bulb and how old?

What type of Chameleon?

Temps?

What type od set up do you have?

Joan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can you tell me what type of substrate you are using? The powder we are using is called Reptocal with the crickets we feed it.

Is the Chameleon passing stool?Not often currently

Do you have a dripper or mister for the Chameleon? No, we spray the plant several times a day and we have a Bulb Dripper into the bottom of the Ficus Plant.

What do you feed? Crickets

Do you use supplements? Just the powder on the crickets, not every time though as it kills the crickets easily.

UVB light? What type tube or coil bulb and how old? We have two lights, one Flourescent- UVB, one 60Watt overhead bulb.

What type of Chameleon? It is a Veiled Chameleon

Temps? Not sure

What type od set up do you have? The cage is about 29" Tall and 15" wide Screen cage. I wonder if it is pregant or bloated from not passing in the last few days.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 4 years ago.

The substrate is the bedding that you use in the bottom of the enclosure. We often see reptiles injesting the substrate by accident which can cause a blockage in the intestines. This can cause the lack of appetite, bloating, discomfort, and lack of stool being passed. Chameleons are one of the most fragile of the reptiles and usually need to see a Herp Vet if ill as they can go down very quickly if not properly treated. I do not want to stress your Chameleon, so you need to increase the humildity to prevent dehydration. I would have it into a Herp Vet asap. I would be happy to locate a Herp Vet for you with a state and zipcode. Joan