Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

my snake kills the mouse but wont eat it whats wrong. Its

my snake kills the mouse but won't eat it whats wrong. Its a rosie boa about 30inches long it was eating a few weeks ago but the last two weeks he won't eat. he is very active in his tank
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.

Are you certain your snake is a male?

Thank you.

Anna
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not know what the sex is, how can I tell?
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.
There is no way to be certain without having a vet do what is called ' a probe.' There are some differences in appearance between males and females, but they are difficult to see unless you have several snakes to compare. Even then, it's not a sure thing.You can read more about that by scrolling down at the following site:

http://www.reptileallsorts.com/redtboa-cs.htm

The reason I asked is that your snake is exhibiting signs of wanting to breed, and it is breeding season. Males who want to breed often stop eating and began actively trying to find a way out of the cage to look for a female. If that is what is going on, there won't be anything you can do except wait it out. It would be a good idea to weigh him now, and then every week that he continues to refuse to eat. If he begins losing weight from week to week, it would be best to consult a vet.

In the meantime, be sure the snake has a wide shallow water dish to soak in to prevent dehydration. If he doesn't soak on his own, you may want to hold him in a bath for 15 minutes or so several times a week. You can also try some more interesting foods, such as a small lizard or a baby chick. Sometimes that will be enough to return an interest in eating.

If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY.

Anna
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have a king snake in the cage next to the Boa the mouse is still running around after a day, should I take it out of the cage?
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.
Yes, if you leave live prey in the cage, you run the risk of the mouse biting the snake. Even though such bites on their own aren't serious, they often lead to infection, which can be serious.

Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience: Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.