Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience as veterinary tech and 15+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

my box turtle has a black lump coming out of her butt under

my box turtle has a black lump coming out of her butt under her tail - what is it and what can I do to fix it? It doesn't seem to be bothering her...
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 4 years ago.

Are you sure the turtle is a female?

Is the area red?

Caqn you post a picture of the area? you can use the tree icon in the tool bar to upload a picture. Joan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was told it was a female. 2 days ago it was a reddish brown color and now it has turned black and apprears to be "harder". It''s about the size of your ring finger fingernail and it's right under the tail.

Expert:  Joan replied 4 years ago.

My concern is that this may be a prolapse. I would like you to clean it with a little cool water and then apply a thin layer of some Personal Lubricant to the area. This will need to be addressed by a Herp Vet asap. If this is a prolapse the Vet will have to surgically repair the area. I can locate a Herp Vet for you with a location of State or Country. Joan

This is a picture of a Prolapse:

California desert tortoise

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what is a prolapse? It doesn't really look like the picture. It's more behind her shell under the tail and not so much underneath like the picture. What happens if it's not removed?

Expert:  Joan replied 4 years ago.

This is only one picture and may not look exactly like what you are seeing. A Prolapse is when the intestine or an organ slips through the vent area. When this happens, the tissue dies. If this is a male they will fan their penis, that is why I aske if you are sure this is a female. This is a picture of a male turtle fanning:

found that turtle phallus Joan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so is fanning his penis connected to a prolapse somehow? Maybe Myrtle my turtle is really Merlin my turtle! Is there an easy way to tell? If this is a prolapse what would happen if I opted to NOT have turtle surgery?
Expert:  Joan replied 4 years ago.

If Myrtle is Merlin then there is no problem. The easiest way is to have a Vet check the turtle and let you know what you are dealing with. fanning is a male turle and their way of masturbating. A prolase is when the hemipenis or intestine exits the body and the tissue dies. A prolapse can be fatal and fanning in male turtles is normal. That is why I requested a picture of the area, so I could give you a good idea of what you are dealing with and the urgency if any to see a Herp Vet. Joan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

is there a way I can send a picture tomorrow for you to look at? Reason being is that my turtle stays in my work office and I am at home. Will it cost me more $$ to send the photo? I'm hoping now it's a male and he's doing his "normal" thing cause I just paid $700 for a tooth extraction on my Mastiff - strapped for cash at the moment, but still need to take care of my turtle somehow.

Expert:  Joan replied 4 years ago.

You can post the picture here by using the tree icon in the tool bar: There is no extra charge for follow up, as lone as it is in this thread and pertains to the same issue. Joan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK - thanks for your help tonight - I appreciate it and I will send a picture tomorrow morning when I get to work.

Have a great night and THANKS BUNCHES!!

Expert:  Joan replied 4 years ago.

We will watch for the picture and hope that we have a Merlin. Joan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
graphicgraphicgraphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

these are the best pictures I could take. Her/his bedding is stuck to whatever it is we're looking at and I couldn't get it off - hopefully from the position and shape you'll be able to tell what it is. I'm praying it's just a Merlin "Thing" and not a Myrtle prolapse. If you determine it is a prolapse, can you please refer a vet in the Indianapolis, IN area for me?

Thanks!

Expert:  Joan replied 4 years ago.

It does look like a prolapse. I was hoping it was not. You need to get her on some paper towels, instead of the substrate. Use some sterile saline to clean the area. Try using some table sugar with mixed with cool water and apply the paste to the area. This may help shrink the tissues. Once this is done you can use a personal lubricant to keep it moist. I will give you a link for Herp Vets in your area. Joan

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/indiana.html

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
darn it! I was hoping not either. If I can shrink the tissue and keep it moist, will she be OK or will she still need to have surgery (which as you can tell, I'm trying to avoid). Is this a deadly thing or with the above treatments she'll be OK?
Expert:  Joan replied 4 years ago.

Unfortunately, a prolapse will ned to be replaced and cared for as the tissue dies it can be fatal. This may be a cloacal prolase or an intestinal prolase. Either one are prone to infection and if the tissue dies, it can be fatal. I would suggest the Vet visit. The Amount for a visit and treatment should be less than $150.00. Joan

Edited by Joan on 2/26/2010 at 6:04 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what causes a prolapse to occur? Thanks for all your help and time and patience with me. It makes me feel more comfortable knowing what I have to deal with. (Not happy about "shelling" out another $150). Appreciate all your help!

Expert:  Joan replied 4 years ago.

Depending on what type of prolapse we are dealing with, will be the reason. A cloacal prolapse can come from straining as will and intestinal prolase. This can happen because the ingest an item, lack of fiber in the diet, etc. The figure I gave you is on the high end and I have heard of people paying no more than $45.00 for treatment, but it depends on the Vet. Joan

http://www.boxturtlesite.info/heal.html scroll down to prolapse.

Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience: 30+ years experience as veterinary tech and 15+ years experience doing reptile rescues.