Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

My leopard gecko has mouth rot. cant afford vet visit. do you

My leopard gecko has mouth rot. cant afford vet visit. do you have any otc solutions to try? I can afford medication.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.

I cannot recommend home treatment of stomatitis, or mouth rot, because the infection is often systemic, rather than limited to the mouth. When that happens, prescription antibiotics are the only cure. To support your gecko, be sure that your temepratures are kept between 82*F and 88*F day and night, the substrate is clean and dry (paper towels are best), and there is a bowl of clean water available.

Some people do attempt to treat mouth rot on their own. It involves using Betadine and cleaning the mouth each day. This is more complicated and difficult than it sounds. If you're interested in trying it, the following link will take you to a site with detailed step-by-step instructions:

http://www.anapsid.org/stomatitis.html

Vets don't usually prescribe and sell medications without an exam first. Perhaps you can find a vet who would set up a monthly or weekly payment schedule. Or, perhaps one of these organizations could help:

American Animal Hospital Association
http://www.aahahelpingpets.org/

Care Credit
www.carecredit.com

If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope that whatever you decide, your gecko will recover.

Anna

Edited by MsAM on 2/11/2010 at 11:06 PM EST