Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

Our Ball Python has something red sticking out from his anus,

Our Ball Python has something red sticking out from his anus, what is it?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

What you are describing is a prolapse. This needs to be addressed by a Vet, but in the mean time we can do some serious first aid to help her. I would like you to take some table sugar and moisten it into a paste, Place it on a moist paper towel that has been wet with cool water. Apply the paste to the area of the Vent where the prolapse is. This may be a rectal prolapse or a Hemipenile Prolapse. The Vet will be able to suture the prolapse back in place. I can help locate a Herp Vet with a city and state. This will need to be done asap. Joan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Pulaski Virginia , can you please look up a vet in our area..thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can you look for someone in or near Pulaski Virginia?
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

This is a listing for Herp Vets in VA: I do not know the area, but yoi may have to travel a bit, but well worth having a specialist treat your snake. Joan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What causes this? Is there anything we can do to prevent it from happening again?

Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

It can come with digestion problems for improper temps. This happens from straining from trying to deficate. It is a common problem in reptiles. Joan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok, thanks so much for all your help!
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

Hope all goes well! Happy Holidays! The sugar paste should help until you can get him/her into the Vet. You can also use a bit of lubricating jelly to keep it moistened. Joan