Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.

i found my baby red slider turtle upside down and i think he

i found my baby red slider turtle upside down and i think he may be dead. Help!!! Could he still be alive? He had been not eating, runny poop for two days. When I first approached the tank, Im almost sure all the turtles were okay. I left and came back ten minutes later and saw the other four turtles surrounding the flipped turtle. I have removed him from the tank and placed him in a dry area.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.

some additional information will help me to answer your question.

Is the turtle inside his shell or out?

If he's outside, do his legs hang limply when you pick him up?

Does he feel cool or warm to the touch?

Do his eyes look sunken in his head?

Thank you.

Anna
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The turtle is out of its shell. His legs dont move when I pick him up. his head is hard to move, but I am able to move his legs and arms. his eyes are a litte sunk in.
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. I'm afraid your turtle is probably dead, but it can be difficult to be certain.Dead turtles usually have the head and all four legs outside the shell. They often appear limp, and feel limp when you touch them. Eyes may be sunken, but that can also be a sign of dehydration in a living turtle. The eyes in a dead turtle are usually open. The skin of a dead turtle may feel warm to the touch, rather than cold.

There are a couple of steps you can take that may help you to know for sure. You can try soaking the turtle. Make a room temperature shallow bath of 1/2 water and 1/2 Pedialyte (made for human infants). Soak the turtle in it for 30 to 60 minutes. Be sure the water is not deep enough to cover the nostrils. After the soak, place the turtle under the basking light. Continue to watch for any signs of movement. There's no harm in waiting to be sure.

I wish I could give you a more definite answer, but unless the turtle is very obviously dead, it's best to give it the benefit of the doubt and see what happens. If you have further questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY.

Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience: Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.