Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.

My iguana is not eating at all. Turning brown in color. Gasping

Customer Question

My iguana is not eating at all. Turning brown in color. Gasping for air every 30 seconds. I can feel a knot on the inside of his stomach, on the left hand side. Any suggestions?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.

Some additional information will help me to answer your question.

What do you normally feed your iguana? when did he last eat?

Is he passing normal droppings?

What substrate do you use on the floor?

What temperatures do you ahve on the warm and cool sides of the cage?

What types of heat and light sources do you use?

In the meantime, discontinue the force feeding and watering - both can be dangerous. Thank you.

Anna

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank YOU so much for your fast reply! I am so upset over my baby iguana. He's just so precious, and sickly. Ok, as for your questions.
What do you normally feed your iguana? Banana's, Mustard Greens, Plantain, Carrots and apple Mulch from the juicer.

when did he last eat? 3 days ago.

Is he passing normal droppings? NO

What substrate do you use on the floor? He hasent been on the floor. He's to small and I have cats. But in his cage, I have pebbles. (I have since realized thats not recommended) I am starting to wonder if he ingested one of them. BC the knot I feel inside him, at the base of his stomach, on left side, is about the same size. I dont feel it on the right side. Its below his ribs.

What temperatures do you ahve on the warm and cool sides of the cage? I am not sure exactly. I switch about two times a day, between the red light to the nighttime light. Hes in a 10 gallon tank. I have a larger iguana that is just fine, in a 50 gall. Thats why i switch the light between the two tanks. I cant put them together. When I first got "Spiky" I tried to put him in the same cage as my large baby one. He's about 4 months old?? Maybe. Well, my larger one bit him, and kept trying for more! I decided to wait till the baby gets older. He's a couple weeks old prob. About 4-6 inches long....

Thank you soooo much for your help! I wish I could take him to the vet, but cannot right now. My 9 and 11 year old are just sooo upset, as I am too.
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. I think you're right about the pebble - that's the same thing I suspected when I first read your post. The best thing to do would be to see a reptile vet, but I'll give you a first aid measure that I hope will work. Get some Pedialyte (yes, the kind made for human infants), and prepare a shallow bath consisting of 1/2 Pedialyte and 1/2 water. Soak Spiky for about 10 minutes. Then, with him still in the water, gently massage his underside from front to vent for an additional 10 minutes. This may help him to pass the stone. Iguanas can absorb fluids and electrolytes through their vents, so this will help with the dehydration that is certainly occurring by now. You can repeat the soak and massage two or three times a day.

I'll have more information to post for you in a few minutes, but I want to get this to you so you can get started. I'll be back in a few minutes with more.

Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience: Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your patience. The gasping for breath that you've been seeing indicates the your iguana is having trouble breathing. One of the reasons that force feeding and watering can be dangerous is that it's very easy to accidentally get food/water into the lungs. I suspect that may have already happened to Spiky. There isn't anything you can do about that on your own. You'll want to be sure you provide the proper temperatures and other conditions since that will increase the chances that your iguana will recover. You'll need an accurate thermometer to measure temperatures. The temperature directly under the basking light should be 90*F to 95*F. The coolest part of the cage should be 80*F. Iguanas need two kinds of light: a basking light and a UVB light. The basking light provides heat. The UVB light doesn’t get very warm, but provides UVB rays. Without both types, an iguana will eventually get sick and die. I recommend this site for more information on iguana care:

http://www.greenigsociety.org/careinfo.htm

It's not recommended to keep two iguanas in a cage together. They can get VERY aggressive and injure each other badly. It would be best to keep your two iguanas in separate cages permanently. If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope the measures you can take at home will be enough to help Spiky recover.

Anna

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you MsAM!! I TRULY APPRECIATE your Knowledge and Help for our Family Pet! I am glad I had a GOOD IDEA of what could be going on with him, NOT that THAT helps and makes me feel any better about the situation though.... :( But, I am glad I am pretty intuned to animal and human health needs. Always have been.

Anyway, I have a simple question. You said, massage him from Front to Vent. Can you PLEASE explain what that means? I am NOT as knowledgable yet with Iguanas as much as I wish I were. But learning... I know the basics though, so thats a good place for me to start.. LOL. But anyhow, could you tell me what the VENT is and what you meant by this? Should the water mixture be luke warm or on the almost hot side? Obviously not burning...

Can you tell me something else? Why in pet stores do they ALWAYS have all the iguanas together? Do you think they will NEVER get along? I researched before purchasing both of them the signs to look for between male and females. I KNOW its a TON harder to know at this age, Obviously. BUT, I think there is a 50% chance that I MIGHT of gotten it right, due to colors, head descriptions, etc. But, oh well if I am wrong. Anyway, I want to breed them when they are older. Thats going to be impossible if I can never house them in the same cage, LOL. Do you have ANY SUGGESTIONS how to do a good transition? Or do you just recemmend that I NEVER house them together? I planned on waiting till the baby spiky was the age/size of my older baby that he is now. Estimated, about a PRETEEN or ALMOST PRETEEN. With tail and all, he's the size of from the tip of fingers to my Elbow. And a tough little cookie too, LOL. But, very tame and nice. :) Except for the baby spikey.

Hey also, I read on just ONE website, that they COULD eat little meat too. IS THIS TRUE!? I thought they were TRUE VEGETERIANS or VEGANS for the most part, LOL!

THANK YOU for all your answers though. I will defently go to the store today and buy some Pedialite. I am suprised I dont have any on stock. I use it alot for my Cats. One more ?. I am feeding my older one everyday, a little plantain from the garden. Its used as a Healing Detox internally, and for wounds on the skin. Is this healthy for him? I would THINK SO, but just wanted to make sure! Plantain is my favorite herb, as I am a wannabe herbalist. I have ALWAYS wanted to be a VET too, if it werent for me being disabled myself with Fibromyalgia. But, thats besides the point, LOL.

have a blessed day in the name of Ya'Hova! (jesus)
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
First, about the massage in the water. The vent is in the back end where the droppings come out. It would be the equivalent of the anus in a mammal. The water for the bath should be around 90*F. When you do the massage, you'll work from just underneath the mouth, down the stomach, and all the way to the vent. The goal is to encourage that pebble to come out.

It is OK to feed plantain.

Don't click on accept again - you'll be charged twice if you do. Thank you for accepting above.

Again, I'm going to answer your question in two parts. I'll post this, and then post more on the housing, breeding, etc.

Anna
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
The reason it's not recommended to keep iguanas together is that both males and females can be territorial and struggle for dominance. that can lead to nasty fights. The iguanas in pet stores are often young, and these issues haven't developed yet. That being said, iguanas can live together under the right circumstances. A large cage is needed. Many times, you'll need more than one basking area and more than one feeding station. If you put two iguanas in a small cage, they will fight. If you introduce a new iguana into the home of one that is established in your home, the original one will defend its territory. I suspect that's what happened with your iguanas. They have to be introduced on neutral territory. There are some iguanas who are just not compatible, and they will always have to be housed apart. This site goes into the subject in much more depth than I can here, including details on how to introduce them:

http://www.anapsid.org/iguana/multipleigs.html

I highly recommend it. I'm also going to try to find you more information on breeding. I'll post that when I have it for you.

Anna
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
If you plan to breed iguanas, you'll want to make yourself into an expert ont hem, and provide the best possible care. i can telly ou're working on that. Before giving you links on breeding, I'm going to give you a page to read on lighting and heating. the types you're using now aren't really adequate.

http://www.greenigsociety.org/heatlighthumidity.htm

These two pages will give you an overview of breeding:

http://www.greenigsociety.org/breeding.htm

http://www.greenigsociety.org/breedingseason.htm

This one has dozens of links to every possible aspect of breeding:

http://www.anapsid.org/iguana/index.html#breeding

I hope you find these sites informative and useful. Good luck with Spiky.

Anna

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Anna~

VERY BAD NEWS. "Spikey" Died a hour ago. Thats why its taken me so long to get back to you. I am SO SAD and Heartbroken, so say the least! Earlier today I called the Pet Store I got him from, she said she would take Spikey back to nurse him, and give me another one for replacement. I hope she still DOES even though Spikey died. SHE BETTER, bc he probably was sick before I even got him, even though his coloring and everything looked GREAT. Although one thing I did notice, he was SO VERY VERY VERY CALM with us holding him. I thought that was odd, since our other one, it took LOTS of handling him before he became calm and tamed. I miss him already....

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!! I wish I would of FOUND your website/help alot sooner than this. MAYBE I could of helped him earier, but honestly I dont have high hopes anything would of helped even at that point. SO SAD.

BUT on the happy note, he's out of misery. AND, your teaching me how to care for my other iguana properly so he will have a LONG HAPPY LIFE!

Thanks! You can email me atXXX@XXXXXX.XXX, if that makes it easier for you.

Thank you! :( Thanks again a MILLION TIMES over and over again!!!!!
Love your friend, ~SHAWNA~
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
You're welcome, Shawna. I am so sorry that you lost Spiky. We knew he was very ill.

I hope the pet store will give you a new iguana. They never should have recommended pebbles for the bottom of the cage, plus it sounds like Spiky was rather lethargic from the beginning. You are probably right that he was ill.

I just realized that I never addressed one of your questions. I would never feed an iguana meat of any kind. They will eat it, but it leads to kidney problems.

If you need anything else, just let me know. Again, I'm sorry for your loss.

Anna
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Anna~
Thank you AGAIN for all your help! You spent SO MUCH time with me, which I didnt expect, But am Happy there are REALLY CARING and knowledable people like you, helping others like me! (BIG HUGS)

I am taking all the advice you are giving me and learning and reading all the sites you gave me.

Do you know of a GOOD and inexpensive online iquana pet store, to buy the other supplies that I need? Also, what do you RECEMMEND me to use on the floor of the cage? How about that Fake Grass stuff?? And, which is better?.... tall cages, or Long cages?

Thanks a million! Spikey was just the CUTEST THING Ive ever seen in animal that is, LOL! He tickled my stomach EVERYTIME I saw his cute little face, LOL! I have always been a animal lover of all types with Frogs and Reptiles being one of my favorites. People think I am strange, being a Girl and LOVING FROGS and etc. LOL!

Btw, how'd you get started helping people on this site, like myself? Do U do it from home? Have to have any degrees? Sounds like fun.....

Have a wonderful WEEKEND! And once again, THANK YOU with all my heart and my children are very thankful as well!!!!!!!
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
You're welcome. The Green Iguana Society recommends that a cage be at least twice as long as the iguana, and as tall as possible.

http://www.greenigsociety.org/habitat.htm

For supplies, I like the following site. They have prices lower than pet stores, and lots of variety.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/shop.cfm?c=6016

Experts on JustAnswer do work from home. You have to pass a test and submit a profile of your qualifications. If you want details, there's a link on the JA home page that says, "Become an Expert."

Anna

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Anna,
Do you mind if I ask you a couple more questions? And tell you what happened regarding the death of Spikey? OK well. I called the pet store that I got him from. She was VERY RUDE on the phone and accused me of (her terms) BAKED HIM TO DEATH. I explained to her, that is NOT the case and I know how to care for my iquana. I NEVER did accuse her of selling me a unhealthy one, but she sure didnt feel shy about accusing me of killing him. Anyway, I asked IF she would replace him SINCE Id only had him for a week. She rudely said, YES. But bring him back so I can Care for him! Well, in that meantime as you and I were talking, Spikey died. We buried him. Yesterday we went to the pet store. I cannot BELIEVE HOW RUDE that B**** was! Right in front of my children 9 and 11, she accused us of BAKING HIM TO DEATH. She was VERY RUDE to all of us, and was not being shy about accusing us for killing him Because of this and that. She had every excuse in the world. I just kept my mouth shut as much as I could, because I wanted a replacement, LOL! And... sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt us! LOL. Well needless, she wouldnt give us another iguana. But did give us a bearded dragon. Which I guess is perfectly OK, because my 11 year old REALLY WANTED one anyway on his NEXT Purchase of a reptile. So, its all good I guess. (Personally though, I REALLY wanted another baby iguana)

Ok, so I have TWO QUESTIONS for you, if your willing to answer them. LOL.

#1. What should I DO about this big B**** of a petstore owner? She was the MEANEST person Ive ran into for a LONG TIME! No sympathy whats so ever! Especially in front of my kids!
#2 . Is there anything I should know importantly about bearded dragons. I have read and read online for hours about them. So, I think I have it under control. But just wanted to ask you, just in case there is something they dont really talk about.
#3. On the web, they say to feed them as adults baby mice. DO I REALLY have to do that??????? And also, it said that YOU CAN feed a iguana a baby mouse like a couple times a month. Id never heard of this before and I dont want too. Isnt that what you would say as well?

Thank you for your kindness!!!! Do you mind that i always talk to you when I am in need?? Thanks again!!!! Much love!~
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
Hello again,

I don't mind at all - I'm happy to help. There are lots of things you need to know about bearded dragons. Start by disregarding the information on mice - they're not good for either iguana's or beardies.

In order to best help you, will you tell me how you're caring for the little dragon now? what's on the cage floor? Did you get a UVB light? What temperatures you have?

I'll wait for your reply, and we'll go from there.

Anna
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
LOL Anna, You are SO QUICK! THANK YOU! :)
First, I am SO HAPPY to hear about disregarding the little innocent Mice. That stuff tears me apart...

Ok, until we get paid. This is how were caring for him now. He's a newborn, I think. He's about 4 inches long maybe less actually. We have him in a 10 gall tank with that shredded paper stuff that you buy in a bag, on the bottom of the cage. I want to get the sand, but that will have to wait. Is sand the best? Also, I bought the calcuim spray for him. And, the powder that you shake on his crickets. I read, they eat about 80% veggies/fruit and 20% crickets. Is this correct???

We have the UVB light on him, but still need to get a heating pad for the bottom of his cage. I also need to get ANOTHER Red light, so I dont have to switch between the iguana and dragon on the red light, between day and night.

if you can share with me what I am doing wrong, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much! Oh, I still need a themonder. But that will have to wait as well. I realize it has to be at 90-100 degrees on one side and up to 80 on the other side of the cage right? FOR BOTH lizards?

OMG my hands are FULL. I always had lizards growing up myself, so I am alittle experienced than most moms, BUT.... dont know all what I should. AND, it has to be that BOTH of my sons have to have two diff kinds at the same time. Trying to learn about both is really driving me TIRED! LOL.

Love ya, Have a great day!!
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. The first thing I'm going to do is tell you to disregard everything you've read online about beardie care, and everything pet store personnel have told you. There's a lot of dangerous information out there. Next I'm going to do is give you a care sheet by Joan, another of our experts. She has many years experience raising and rescuing beardies, and has beardies that have lived to very old ages. I'll send the care sheet right now so you can read it while I'm woeking on the rest of your answer. I'll be addressing your specific questions in my next post.

Bearded Dragon Care Sheet

* Bearded dragons should be housed alone.

* Ages of bearded dragons follow these guidelines:

1. 0-3 months- baby
2. 3-12 months-juvenile
3. 12-18 months- sub adult
4. 18 months + -adult

* Bearded dragons live as much as 10-12 years if well cared for properly.
    * Bearded dragons have a very good temperament as long as they are cared for and handled.
    * When you bring your baby home, it may be quite stressful to him/her to get use to new home. May not eat well the first 2-3 days. They may not need to be handled the first 2-3 days if skittish and nervous.
    * Never use sand or any other type of loose substrate: Loose substrates can cause impaction (not being able to go Poop) in all ages of bearded dragons- they lick their environment to explore .It is difficult to keep germ free and clean. Ceramic tile, newspaper, non adhesive shelf liner and reptile carpet is what is most recommended. Use paper towels for the little one and as they get bigger you can change to something else.
    * Be sure you keep your beardies home as clean as you can. Clean up by spot cleaning when needed. Clean & sanitize entire tank every 10-14 days. A good cleaning solution is a 20% bleach solution. If you choose to use wood climbing branches etc, these should be soaked in the bleach solution and rinsed well. Then bake in 250 degree oven for 30 minutes.
    * Need a climbing accessory: to bask and to warm up under basking heat light and lower branches or platforms to come down and cool off.
    * A hide of some sort like a cave.
    * A food dish and water dish.
    * Plastic spray bottle
    * Can use artificial plants when they get older- 3 months or so.
    * Digital thermostat and/or temp gun
    * Tank size: Minimal size tank for this age is 20 gallon long
    * Minimal size for older beardie: 4 months of age: 40 gallon breeder is the minimal tank size for older dragon. Can divide a 40 gallon breeder for a smaller dragon. Must have two lights for your beardie.

1. A UVB light source-best is 10.0 Reptisun that runs the length of your tank. Your dragon must have this light to metabolize calcium. If not he will get metabolic bone disease, a serious condition. You can also take your beardie outside to bask in the sun for 15 minutes each day if your temps are 80 degrees or above outside. You can purchase cages or reptariums from your pet store. Never leave a beardie outside unattended.
2. A basking type light that puts out heat and warmth above basking spot. Your beardie must have warmth to digest food & thrive.

* Lights should be on for 12-14 hours each day. Follow the seasons and light timers are a great luxury if you can get them. 6 dollars at Lowe's. No lights or warmth needed at night unless your temperatures get below 62 degrees. If they do, there are ceramic heat emitters that put out no light, only heat. Use these at night if temperatures fall below 62 degrees.

* Temperatures have to be kept at the following ranges during the day:

Babies: Warm basking log: 105-125 degrees F
Cool side: 85-90
Adults: Warm basking spot: 110-115
Cool side: 80-85
Measure temperatures with a digital probe type thermometer or a temp gun-these are most accurate. Stick on thermometers unreliable.

* Feeding a Beardie: Beardies eat live prey consisting of crickets, roaches and/or silkworms. Never feed any size of mice to your beardie. Never feed mealworms. They also must be given greens/veggies everyday. The younger they are the more live prey they should have. As they grow older the live prey decreases and the veggies/greens should be the major part of diet. Never feed anything bigger, than the space between your beardie's eyes. This includes both live prey and pieces of veggies/greens,
    * A chopper or food processor is a huge help when your beardie is small. Always offer greens and veggies: collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, cabbage, red cabbage, fresh green beans, yellow summer squash, butternut squash, sweet potato, cactus pad. Apricots, strawberries, apples, blueberries, raspberries, cantaloupe- fruits are treats only.
    * What is live prey? The easiest and less expensive live prey is crickets when you have a young or first beardie. The other live preys you can feed are silkworms, and special types of roaches. You can learn to raise your own live prey. Treats can be waxworms, super worms, and tomato/goliath worms. You may find that ordering live prey from the internet is the way to go..... Never leave live prey or greens/veggies in tank overnight. . Crickets can bite your beardie when sleeping.
    * Babies should get 80% live prey, and 20 % greens/veggies. But since the greens/veggies are a must when they are older, get them eating their greens/veggies very early. Give greens/veggies in small pieces everyday. You should eventually start decreasing your older dragon's protein intake when they are about a year to 15 months old. Their protein intake decreases to 20 % live prey and 80% veggies/greens.
    * A baby the size of yours can eat 50-75 crix a day. Never feed crix or veggies bigger than the space between your beardie's eyes. Use this guide when buying crix or chopping your greens/veggies.
    * You must provide calcium dust without D3 and multivitamin dust for your beardie. You should dust the live prey with calcium one time a day, and vitamins 3 times a week. Just collect your live prey into baggie and add enough calcium and vitamin to dust them. Then pour a few at a time into your tank. Some people feed their beardie in a separate tank so that no crickets can hide. Or some take out "furniture" from tank and feed this way. As they get older, 4-5 months or so dust live prey with calcium 3 times a week.
    * Feed the veggies/ greens 1st thing in morning after lights on for one hour at least. Then after 2-3 hours offer crix. Then freshen green/veggies. Then give more crix. Make sure after last crix feeding there is at least 1-2 hours of lights so that they can digest their food before night time.

*Beardies over the age of one year old during the winter months will go into a Brumation like most Reptiles and Herps. It is a form of Hibermnation that is governed by the weather and time of year. The lights should be on a shorter period at this time. Fresh greens should be available during this period. Do not feed live pery during Brumation.

Water: Mist your little one with the spray bottle 3-4 times a day. You can also offer a small dish of water in your enclosure but be sure your dragon is not too small to drown in it. It is recommended that when your beardie is 2 months old you can bathe your baby in a small plastic container with warm water- not hot. It will help them to stay hydrated. As they get older you can move up to the bathroom sink and then to the bathtub. Very important for bath enclosure to be thoroughly cleaned and rinsed prior to bath time. Clean between dragons too if bathing more than one.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OMGodess, YOU ARE SO HELPFUL!!!!!! The internet and pet store owners SHOULD be ashamed of themselves! Again Thanks - Bless your heart. I am printing ALL of your info out as I type this, and my sons are reading it. Iam so happy they are INTO caring for them properly as much as I am. Being Iam sick with Fibromyalgia illness, its hard for me to do this by myself. But, I can see this wont be the case. They are being responsible and helping. :) Thanks!
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
Now, let's look at each concern.

1) This is how were caring for him now. He's a newborn, I think. He's about 4 inches long maybe less actually. We have him in a 10 gall tank with that shredded paper stuff that you buy in a bag, on the bottom of the cage. I want to get the sand, but that will have to wait. Is sand the best?

This little guy is so small that he shouldn't even have been sent to a new home yet. It's going to take a lot of careful attention to details ony our part to help him thrive. so, please, don't go by the online information you've read. He shouldn't have sand - not EVER. Beardies explore with their tongues and easily ingest sand. We see it here almost every day - impactions in beardies kept on sand or any other loose substrate. Sand also causes eye injuries and infections, and respiratory irritations. At this stage of the beardie's life, he's better off on something that won't cost you anything - newspaper. white paper towels will also work. these are the safest substrates for him. when he's older, reptile carpet, ceramic tiles,shelf paper or other solid substrates are best. If you'd like to see the results of using sand, including some rather graphic photos, visit this site:

http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/impaction/?page=3 calci sand

Pet stores sell this stuff to make money, not because it's good for the lizards.

2) Also, I bought the calcuim spray for him. And, the powder that you shake on his crickets.

The calcium sprays are ineffective. You want to get a plain calcium powder, without phosphorus and without vitamin D3. Phosphorus and D3 lead to serious health problems - again ignore what you've seen elsewhere. Flukers makes a good one. It's inexpensive. Here's an online source:

http://www.herpsupplies.com/product.cfm?groupid=14201&id=73005

3)I read, they eat about 80% veggies/fruit and 20% crickets. Is this correct???

Adults need those proportions of prey and vegetables. Fruits are not good for them. until your beardies is about one year old, he needs 80% prey and 20% vegetables. Crickets have to be very small - no larger than the space between the beardie's eyes. Some variety is better than always feeding crickets, but don't ever feel meal worms. They're too high in chitin and lead to impactions. One of the best prey items is silk worms. The prey should be dusted in the plain calcium powder described above. The following site describes the various types of produce and how often to feed them:

http://www.repticzone.com/articles/fruitsandvegetablesrated.html

4) We have the UVB light on him, but still need to get a heating pad for the bottom of his cage. I also need to get ANOTHER Red light, so I don't have to switch between the iguana and dragon on the red light, between day and night.

Don't waste your money on the heating pad or a red light. Beardies need heat from above. The red lights can easily cause thermal burns. In fact it would be better for both the iguana and the dragon if you would get them each a plain clip-on reflector light. They're cheap - only a few dollars each. You can get them at farm supply stores, where they're sold as brooder lights for baby chicks, or at Home Depot, Lowes, or a hardware store, where they're sold as work lights. then, just put an ordinary 60 to 75 watt incandescent light bulb (no red lights or compact fluorescents) in the reflector. Here is a photo of the kind of light:

5) I realize it has to be at 90-100 degrees on one side and up to 80 on the other side of the cage right? FOR BOTH lizards?

No, the requirements are quite different for the two species. For the iguana, the temperature directly under the basking light should be 90*F to 95*F. The coolest part of the cage should be 80*F. Your little beardie needs much warmer temperatures: 105-125*F under the basking light and, on the cool side: 85-90*F. Please don't put off gettingt he thermometer and the reflector lights, even if you have to borrow money from a family member or friend. Temperatures too high can quickly kill a baby lizard, but if it's not warm enough, he's likely to become lethargic and sick rapidly. He's very fragile at this age, and you could lose him in no time if things aren't just right.

As for the rude woman int he pet store, I'm afraid there's not much youc an do. you could report her to her boss, which probably won't accomplish anything, or you can refuse to shop there. That's about it, I'm afraid.

I hope I've covered everything. just get back to me, if not.

Anna

Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
I see the photo of the light didn't come through, so I'll try again.

graphic

I'm glad your kids are taking an interest. I understand all about fibromyalgia - I have it, too. I definitely know what you're talking about.

Anna
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK ANNA,
THANKS AGAIN! YOU HAVE BEEN SO HELPFUL. I THINK EVERYTHING I READ AND WAS TOLD BY THE PETSTORE MORON, WAS WRONG. LOL. I TRUST YOU COMPLETELY THOUGH. AND.... IT DOESNT SUPRISE ME THAT THE CALCUIM THAT I GOT DOES HAVE THE VITD IN IT, DARN IT.....

OK, AS THE THE STUFF I PUT ON THE BOTTOM. WE BOUGHT THIS BAG OF SHREDDED PAPER STUFF. THIS STUFF IS OK FOR NOW, RIGHT? I THINK ITS THE SAME OF WHAT YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT. HOPE SO.

IAM GETTING PAID IN A COUPLE OF DAYS, I WILL BE SENDING YOU MORE MONEY FOR ALL YOUR HELP AT THAT TIME. THANKS AGAIN.
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
It would be much better to remove the shredded paper. Uneaten crickets can hide in it. Crickets will bite a lizard, and cause nasty infections. It's also difficult for the beardie to find the prey in that stuff. Maybe the pet store would give you your money back for the things you bought and don't need. They will try to tell you that you need this stuff, but don't listen to them. I guess it's up to you if you want to deal with them again.

While i appreciate more money, when you get paid, please use it for the things your lizards need before you consider giving me more.

I'll be going offline now, but will check back later to see if you need anything else.

Anna
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Anna,
I am Just so grateful there are such CARING and GIVING people out in this world, LIKE YOU! Thanks with all my heart for helping me and my family and our Reptiles.:) I have Just two more simple questions, and then I think I will be done for now. LOL.

1.) We ended up buying Non-Phosates Calcium WITH D-3 in it. I KNOW you just explained to me, NOT to use the D3 kind. But, is this OK to use UNTIL I get my order online without the D3.

2) What kind of Vitamins do I buy?

3) Can I use the Calcium Powder w/D-3 for my iguana, spread on veggies, OR throw it away?

Thanks again!!!!

Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
You're welcome. D3 causes neurological disorders when used regularly. I wouldn't use it at all in one so young. I'd throw it out. The same neurological problems can occur in iguanas. They'll both be OK without calcium for just a few days while you wait for your order.

The multiple vitamin should only be given 3 days a week. Flukers makes a multiple vitamin for reptiles.

Anna
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ALRIGHTY - THANK YOU FOR SAVING MY ANIMALS LIVES AND SAVING MORE SADNESS WITH MY FAMILY! ITS A BLESSING FROM GOD THAT I FOUND YOU! AFTER EXPERIENCING THE GREAT HELP WITH YOU ON THIS WEBSITE, I AM REALLY CONSIDERING ON BEING HELP TO OTHERS ON THIS SITE, JUST LIKE YOU. BUT, FOR PARENTING SKILLS. DO YOU KNOW IF THERE IS A SUBJECT FOR NATURAL HEALTH WITH HERBS, ETC, THAT I WOULD BEABLE TO HELP OTHERS WITH? I WAS LOOKING BUT ALL I COULD FIND ON MY OWN, WAS QUESTIONS THAT NEEDED ANSWERED AS IF I WERE A MEDICAL DOCTOR. AND THAT IAM NOT. I JUST KNOW ALOT ABOUT NATURAL HEALTH. I HELP RUN A ONLINE HERBAL STORE, AND HAVE HELPED SO MANY FRIENDS, MYSELF, AND FAMILY FOR THE PAST 13 YEARS IVE BEEN LEARNING ALL WHAT I CAN THROUGH BOOKS AND HANDS ON EXPERIENCES. I THINK OF MYSELF PRETTY KNOWLEDGED IN THIS AREA. I ALSO WANTED TO HELP WITH PARENTING.... IF YOU COULD HELP ME ON WHAT DO TO WITH THIS, ID ALSO BE GREATFUL.

HAVE A BLESSED LIFE! YOU DESERVE IT!!!!
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
There is no category for natural health. There is one for parenting. Here's a link to the page where you can read more about being an expert, and apply if you decide you want to:

http://www.justanswer.com/expert.aspx

Only a very small percentage of people who apply do get approved. Even people who pass the test and have excellent qualifications may be turned down if there are enough experts in the category for which they applied. All you can do is try. Good luck!

Anna
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Anna, Its Shawna Again. Is there a Natural way to make my own Powdered Calcium w/o D3, for my Iguana & Bearded Dragon?

(BTW, I am ENJOYING THEM soooo much more since you've given me so many tips/details, THANK YOU!) THey are just SOOOOO CUTE! :)

Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
Hi Shawna,

No, there is no way to make your own calcium powder. Flukers makes one that has no D3 or phosphorus in it. If your local pet store doesn't carry it. I can give you a link to an online source. Let me know. (I may have already given you that link above).

Anna
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Anna. Yes, you did give me a Nice Link to purchase the Calcium. Thanks. But I was just wondering "IF" It was possible to make my own. LOL. I guess this type of Calcium that is being sold for Lizards in powder form, is made from Oyster Shells. From what ive read anyway.... So, I guess that would be pretty difficult to do myself, LOL! But... something I was wondering IS IF.... I put there WATER in a Oyster Shell, in the cage. I WONDER if the calcium would absorb that way. LOL, just a thought, thats all. Dont worry Anna, I am gonna buy the brand You recommended from the website you offered to me. LOL. I know Iam broke, but NOT Cheap! LOL. Just kinda thinkin-out-loud. KWIM?.... Have a wonderful Day!

(As I promised, here is a few more dollars for ALL your time. You are Very kind and I like chatting with you! :)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

(As I promised, I want to pay you a few more dollars for ALL your time. You are Very kind and I like chatting with you! But, I have to figure out how to select the amount I wish to give. Because its automatically putting in 9.00 and a diff acct that I want to use :) I KNOW you said "dont worry about it, and use the money to get the products for my pets" But Anna, I REALLY have asked alot of your time and knowledge! I really do appreciate it!
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
Well, if you could find a way to finely pulverize the oyster shells, I suppose you could do it. Depends on if you want to go that work, and how much you'd have to pay for the oyster shells. Just putting water in an oyster shell won't work because very little would dissolve into the water.

As far as leaving more money, I don't know exactly what the customer page looks like, but there's supposed to be a place where you can click to leave a bonus, and you leave any amount you wish. You might have to go back to the place where you actually clicked on accept to find it. If you can't find it, we can contact a moderator to find out what you need to do.

Anna