Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

I have a northwestern salamander I believe. I have had him

Customer Question

I have a northwestern salamander I believe. I have had him for about three days, and I found him under a concrete porch after it was busted up. I can not get him to eat. I have feed him crickets, and mill worms. What should I do?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 7 years ago.

Since this was a wild caught amphibian, they do not always adjust to captivity. In many cases it is wiser to release the salamander since it is most likely it will not adjust and survive. They do not need a UVB light since many are nocturnal, but the temps need to be proper for them to thrive in a captive situation. If you cna get the setup to optimum, you may have a chance. If he does not start eating after your setup is correct, them I would suggest releasing it and getting a cptive bred salamander if you want to keep one. Joan