Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.

constipated gecko

constipated gecko
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.

Some additional information will help me to answer your question.

What temperatures do you maintain on the warm and cool sides of the tank?

What substrate do you use on the floor?

What types of heat and light sources do you use?

Do you feed anything besides mealworms?

When did he last pass any droppings?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The temp on the cool side is 76, warm side is 90. He is on a reptile carpet substrate. I have a UVB light as well as a heat lamp. He has had small crickets, but most recently, the last month he was eating, it was just mealworms. I have offered him the Zoo Med gecko food in a jar, but I don't think he's ever eaten any of it. Worms are dusted about twice a week with Jurassic Cal, though he hasn't eaten in about a month. I had some liquid calcium drops that I gave him a little of tonight, that he licked off his snout pretty well. He last passed droppings about 3 weeks ago.
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. Your temperatures are good, and so is the substrate you're using. You're right that the meal worms are to blame for the problem. The staple of a leopard gecko's diet should be crickets. Meal worms and wax worms can be treats every once in awhile. You were on the right track with the bath, but I'll give you some steps to improve that in hope that we can stimulate him to have a bowel movement.

Buy some Pedialyte (made for human infants and available in discount stores and pharmacies). Prepare a warm bath consisting of 1/2 water and 1/2 Pedialyte. By now, your gecko is dehydrated. The Pedialyte will help with that because the electrolytes can be absorbed through the vent. You could also put a few drops of Pedialyte on his snout to see if he'll lick it off. Begin the bath by soaking your gecko for 10 minutes. Then, with him still in the water, gently massage his underside from front to vent for an additional 10 minutes. This may cause him to defecate. Repeat this procedure 2 or 3 times a day. If he doesn't pass any droppings within a day, I recommend that you take him to a reptile vet. He may be impacted, and there's nothing you can do about that at home. If you don't have a vet, give me your city (nearest larger town if yours is a small one) and state, and I'll help you locate one. If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope the Pedialyte soaks will end your gecko's constipation.