Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience as veterinary tech and 15+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

my whites tree frog has a very large bump on his head, ...

Customer Question

my whites tree frog has a very large bump on his head, it is hard, now has stretched skin alot in one place and has a brown spot. resembles a tumor. not a parotid gland, im really scared about my frog flopsy please help me he is young and i love him
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

This does not sound like something that is treatable at home as would be a fungal infection. The fact there is a large bump and it resembles a tumor. I feel a Vet will have to aspirate this to properly diagnose the problem. There are small problems with skin infection that are easily treated at home this does not sound like one that can be treated. One of the reasons we see problems is a stress factor that can help the illness progress. The other is the conditions which the are in the habitat and lastly, is the vitamin supplements or lack of can casue MBD metabolic bone disease. If all is right with habitat and supplements, this is either stress related or genetic. In this case a Herp Vet would be the best resource for help for Flopsy. I can help locate a Herp Vet with a city and state. Joan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Joan's Post: part of the bump has erupted but there is still a bump and a little wound. my parents won't let me take him to the vet, i can try really hard but even though i will pay they won't take a frog that cost 15 dollars to the vet. please help me and flopsy!!
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

To treat the area which may be an abscess, we can use 1 part betadine scrub to 3 parts water. Clean the area will with this mixture 4 times a day. Then apply some Neospirin to the area. Hopefully this will help Flopsy to heal and feel better. If this is a fungal infection or abscess this treatment should help clear it up withing a week or two. I hope Flopsy gets better very soon! Joan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Joan's Post: where can i get betadine scrub? my dad is not convinced.. he said the frog will live or die we cant do anything! but i love my flopsy!!!!
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

The Betadine can be purchased at Target or Walmart as well as any of the the stores that sell first aid supplies. It is very reasonable and should be under $5.00 for the Betadine. It is nice to see how much you care for Flopsy and the care you are willing to give him. The oldest living Whites tree Frog was recorded at 21 years of age. Joan

http://www.froggie.info/whites/index.htm