Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

My dog is a Shih Tzu and he's been pooping out pretty

hi, my dog is a Shih Tzu and he's been pooping out pretty nasty dirreah that's mostly liquid and a very dark, maroon, almost blood-like color. I thought it was blood, but my father told me it was poop and that he had been vomiting as well. Do you know what it could be? we don't have enough money to send him to get, and it seems really serious.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No, he eats his normal dog food
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he's about four years old, he'll be five in a month. But my mom does mix chicken or turkey with his food, could that be a problem?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Brownie?
Customer: He has had a ruptured anal gland, and we've already taken him for that. But there's nothing else, except for the above.

Hello, my name is***** and I would like to assist with your question. Can you tell me how long this has been going on and how his energy level is?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
It just started this morning. He's laying down, but he seems very lethargic, as opposed to when he normally gets up and greets everyone with full energy.

Does he still have an appetite?

The main concern here is with diarrhea with blood as well as the vomiting.

Diarrhea can be caused by many different things but one of those is a change in diet. If the diet was not switched from old to new over a gradual time period, it can cause the stomach and intestines to be inflamed. This inflammation can cause diarrhea as well as blood in the diarrhea. The same type of bloody diarrhea can occur from stress. We call this stress colitis. Once it progresses to the point of blood in the stool, this is called hemorrhagic gastroenteritis and it can become very serious. Dogs can easily become dehydrated. This can occur after a dog gets into something (people food, fatty foods) but sometimes happens out of nowhere.

This condition is managed with bland diet and medication. The bland diet can be cooked at home with bland, white chicken breast with NO SEASONING or lean cooked ground beef NO SEASONING and plain white rice. You can also use a prescription bland diet such and I/D, W/D or Royal canin gastrointestinal formula. I recommend small, frequent meals, to get the GI tract back on track. Do not continue to feed more food too quickly as this can cause a setback. Once the diarrhea is resolved, you can slowly mix in more of the dog food and mix out some of the rice mixture. This transition needs to be over a few days so we can watch for diarrhea to return.

Sometimes diet is enough to help but other times pets need a medication called metronidazole or metronidazole and amoxicillin to stop the bloody diarrhea. This needs to be prescribe from a veterinarian.

If further signs develop such as vomiting, decreased energy level or no appetite, further tests need to be completed to be sure something more severe is not going on, such as pancreatitis, something foreign stuck in the GI tract, etc.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
He doesn't have an appetite at the moment. But thank you, ***** ***** make sure to let my family know this.

What other questions can I answer for you?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I don't have any at the moment. His diarrhea and vomiting were my main concerns, but so far he hasn't shown anything else.

Ok, pass that above information along and let me know if anything else comes up. When you have a chance, please rate our interaction.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I Will, thank you so much!

You're welcome