PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

We gave our dog a rib bone 4 days ago and he has been

Customer Question

We gave our dog a rib bone 4 days ago and he has been hacking periodically since but still eating and acing ok. but yesterday noticed some dark blood in the vomit. He still ate today but continues to hack
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Oscar
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oscar?
Customer: He is older. about 11 years old. he is a beagle/basset hound mix
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 12 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

How long has he been vomiting?

Has he had any exposure to other dogs in the last 21 days? Boarding? Grooming? Doggy daycare? Dog parks?

Was this bone cooked or raw?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
it was cooked. no exposure. it is nothing related to anything else. I'm just afraid he wont be able to digest it

How long has he been vomiting?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
its only watery, not food and he just hacks, not much comes up but water, it was blood tinged yesterday
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
its more like spit

You have a valid concern that he might not be able to digest bone as it's not an item that is easily processed by the body. We often see that cooked bone causes irritation of the GI tract (including the throat, which may be why he's hacking), puncture, lacerations and blockage.

Since you've seen bloody production, my advice to you would be to have him examined and treated by your vet. Failing this, I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. For a pet avoiding taking medication readily, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a soft, bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats. The softer food should give the throat a chance to heal if this might be due to irritation alone.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 days ago.

Checking in. How is Oscar doing?