PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I think just ate some grass fertilizer and he got diarrhea

I think just ate some grass fertilizer and he got diarrhea this afternoon. Then when the time went by he started very lethargy...but he did ate his food though. What should I do?? Any home remedy I can help him? Or i have to call my vet. Which I think they're close by now.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if my will be able to digest that. How old is my?
Customer: He is 3
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about my?
Customer: About 50-60lbs

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

When did the consumption occur?

Any vomiting?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
It was yesterday night. I yelled hom..he just started licking it around his mouth. I wiped it off..but then this afternoon I came back from work..i let them out as usual to do his business..he pool out all the black color stuff exactly like the grass fertilizer

Any vomiting?

What is the name of the fertilizer, do you know?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No..he did not vomit. But then later like now he lay down whole time very lethargy. Like no strength to walk. Beside..he did eat his dinner.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I'm not quite sure the brand name but I'm on the other hand message my husband hope he know. We bought it from home depot.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Earlier he was still fine even though he had the diarrhea. He still acted normal

Anytime we witness diarrhea, we highly recommend starting a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok. But one more question..i notice out of no where..when he tried to walk his front leg walk limping..does it occur of whatever he was getting into? Like I said..every symptom I mention it was not like in shock he got into..it was like since after 4pm onward..until now.

I don't think there's any way to give you a definitive no. If your husband acquires the name later on, let me know and I'll see if there is reason for concern. Many fertilizers aren't toxic and just cause GI upset but others can cause major symptoms and illness. So, in that case, we might be concerned more about a limping pet. It's never wrong to visit the ER if you aren't sure.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi. My husband told me he got this brand name milorganite fertilizer.

According to their website, this fertilizer is non-toxic but may cause GI upset. I would presume, then, that the limping is not due to the fertilizer.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok. Thank you so much. I'll make sure i follow up and with my vet too. Thank you.

Sure thing!