Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My dog broke its nail a while back and now it grown back in

My dog broke its nail a while back and now it grown back in a circle and it very think. I think it needs to be removed. She know favors the the foot.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Daisy 12 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Daisy?
Customer: No just nail issue

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Can you post a picture of the nail here for me to see what you're seeing? Is she licking at that foot?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
give me a minute

Absolutely!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Attached is picture

Good job on the picture? Is that nail just growing around in a circle - coming out and then circling back around and then hitting the paw pad? How did it look when it first started to grow out? My initial thoughts on this are that it needs trimmed. They can have a nail that is broke come out a little irregular and it doesn't wear as they walk and it grows back around into the pad. I would take him to your vet so they can evaluate it in person and see if it just needs trimming. Sometimes they need antibiotics for a secondary infection too.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She broke the nail and it's grown back like this it now grows sideways and up and circles around. It also grow back much thicker than the other nails

It is growing back irregular from the previous break, but now the current problem is the nail growing back into the paw pad and causing damage / infection from that. More than likely it just needs to be trimmed on a regular basis to keep it from growing back and around into the pad as its not wearing on the concrete as she walks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks

No problem! I'm hoping for the best for Daisy! Get into your vet and they'll trim that nail and then go from there.

I forgot to give you the chance to rate me. Sorry about that.