Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Veterinarian
Experience:  Owner, practitioner, Owner at Hilo Veterinary Clinic, Inc, Vetmed Hawaii
90005502

My 16 year old IG has lots of blood filled cysts that

Customer Question

My 16 year old IG has lots of blood filled cysts that continue to bleed. His blood doesn't clot well and though he doesn't appear in pain he is bleeding daily. We clean and bandage wounds/popped cysts but there are so many. Any advice?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: Depends on size if lump. Sometimes a lot and sometimes a little.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Dante.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dante?
Customer: No. He's been a healthy dog his whole life.
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 6 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I will do my best to help you. I am reviewing your question now and I will post back to you ASAP.

Dante's condition sounds very serious.

Constant blood loss is a serious concern. When enough red blood cells are lost the blood won't clot well.

The "cysts" that you mention may be a sign of hemangioma or its malignant form, hemangiosarcoma. They both produce blood filled cysts.

Conditions that prevent new red blood cells from forming might also be involved. Especially kidney disease in an older dog.

I recommend that you have your veterinarian check Dante to determine what could be done.

Italian Greyhounds are one of the breeds that have a higher incidence of this condition.

Your vet will probably do a biopsy and send it to a histopathologist to determine exactly what the lesions are.

I hope that this has helped. If you have any further questions please let me know. I am here to help Dante.

If we are finished kindly rate this service.

Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 3 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrMarta-vet