Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our dog r, our 3yo tibetan terrrior who is not lactose

Customer Question

Our dog r
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: Hello, our 3yo tibetan terrrior who is not lactose intolerant drank several ounces of sour milk. My question is weather I should give her something to encourage vomiting or let nature take its course. She hasn't thrown up yet but she looks a bit unhappy.
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the terrier eat anything unusual?
Customer: nothing but the sour milk
JA: What is the terrier's name and age?
Customer: McKenzie, age three
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about McKenzie?
Customer: No she is quite healthy no allergies, not lactose intolerant
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but wanted to touch base with you about McKenzie.

In regards ***** ***** situation, the only risk here from the sour milk is that it could cause gastritis with vomiting and diarrhea. Therefore, we just need to keep an eye on her and can try to offset any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals should her stools become loose. Further to this, if we see any nausea, we can also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. But otherwise we'd not expect any significant harm from this.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.