Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog just ingested Otho home defense he licked it after 10

My dog just ingested Otho home defense he licked it after 10 minutes of being sprayed....do I induce vomiting?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Gyp and 4year old Pit Bull Bull dog missed approx 60 lbs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bull?
Customer: Nothing else....Gyp is normally healthy

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. Just ignore it. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Did he just lick a small area where it was sprayed, or did he actually ingest a significant amount of liquid?

Any symptoms of illness?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He licked just a small amount, within 5 minutes I tried to flush his mouth with fresh water after I noticed his action.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He allowed me to flush his mouth and I have not noticed any adverse effects as of now...it's been about 20 minutes....the bottle says people and pets allows after its dry....

Thanks for the information. Rinsing the mouth should be sufficient. Licking just a small area where sprayed shouldn't cause a big problem in dogs. Inducing vomiting won't do anything, unless he ingested a more significant amount of liquid. Ingesting a larger amount can cause problems, but dogs tend to tolerate these types of pesticides if jut licked. The ingredients in this product are in the same family of pesticides that are in some flea and tick preventatives (pyrethroids). I would just monitor him for any vomiting, lack of coordination, tremors, excessive salivation or lack of appetite. If you see any of those issues, I would have a vet check him out. I don't anticipate any problems, though. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you.

You are welcome. Let me know if you have further questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you very much but I got the same thing over the internet in the meantime waiting for your answer. Your answer however is appreciated.

You are welcome.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John