Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Black spots on stomach, Penny 14, No and foul smell and she

Customer Question

Black spots on stomach
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Penny 14
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Penny?
Customer: No and foul smell and she paces possibly dermatitis between l
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a photo(s) of these black spots to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

Your post was truncated at "...and she paces possible dermatitis between I". Please clarify.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Here is photo

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
What do you think?

The hyperpigmentation you're seeing arises secondary to the chronic inflammation caused by chronic pyoderma (bacterial skin infection). You can see the inflammation surrounding the black. The same infection is between her toes (interdigital pyoderma). The odor is a seborrheic one often described as that of dirty gym socks. Seborrhea is a skin change associated with chronic inflammatory conditions.

Treatment would consist of a systemic antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin dosed for many months. Bathing Penny in an antimicrobial and antiseborrheic shampoo containing benzoyl peroxide should hasten resolution of the infection and curb that odor. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thanks alot would I need a script for the antibiotic?

You're quite welcome. Yes, only Penny's attending vet can prescribe this (or another appropriate) antibiotic. You can find benzoyl peroxide-containing shampoos over the counter, however, in pet/feed stores or online.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thanks again

It's my pleasure. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.