Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I have a 12 year old Aussie mix. She has had a couple UTI,s

Customer Question

I have a 12 year old Aussie mix. She has had a couple UTI,s in the last 3 mos, and the vet either finds blood and no bacteria or bacteria, depending is she does the lab or send sit out. So last week my dog has urgency again and pees by the door before i can get her out 6:30am. I take her to the vet who finds blood but no bacteria and still puts her on an ABX. Interestingly same day before staring abx no more urgency. BUT vet states could be kidney stones etc and does x-ray. X-ray negative and then convinces me to do US. US finds small mass in spleen. STATES COULD BE HEMATOMA, AS SHE DID FALL OFF the bed recently, ( I pray it is only hematoma). Suggest we repeat US in 2 weeks and hope its shrinking thus hematoma likely and body reabsorbing. If not shrinking need to remove spleen as could be tumor benign , or malignant or hematoma could grow and rupture. I have read the surgery itself is complex and of course she is quoting me a min of $2500, If tumor and benign, maybe ok. If hemasomethingvery agrees I've and prognosis she said 3-6 mos but I have read most likely i month. She is 12- my baby have her since she was 6 weeks old rescued. I am very concerned. Feel I have no choice but do surgery if not shrinking. Any opinion on chances of survival, is this cost acccurate, and could it simply be a hematoma? She is eating fine but distended belly and very lethargic lately.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: She is otherwise healthy, but getting older and lazier. She gets daily excercise, and excellent diet. But she has has several masses removed over the years and all benign. My question is could the blood in her urine be from a hematoma, and how likely is it she will survive the procedure and what is prognosis if it is a tumor and malignant?
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 7 days ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.