Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

You suggested first a physical exam to make sure she is ok.

Customer Question

You suggested first a physical exam to make sure she is ok. Can you tell me if there is a test to see if male is fertile?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: Faith comes in heat and my husband had seen them lock up but no puppies.
JA: Where does the puppy seem to hurt?
Customer: She doesn't act like she hurts. She just not getting pregnant
JA: OK. No obvious pain. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?
Customer: She was born Dec. 29, 2005. She is the last in a long blood line. Her father died recently but she never breed. I purchased another male but seems to shoot blanks
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 days ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

How old is your female?

What breed are the dogs?

How old is the male?

Have you had the pup since he was a pup or did you purchase an adult?

Has the male sired pups before?

Are both testicles descended on the male?

You said that your husband witness them lock up. Do you know how long they were tied for?

Have you tried anything so far?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Faith is 6 going on 7. Never breed.
Purchased male at 3, he is now 4. Both testicles descended. Was told by previous that yes he had sired a litter. No I have not tried anything. Was researching to see what we might can do. Have also put him with another female and she did not take either. Do not know how long they were tied up.
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 days ago.

Breed???? I'll start my response but it will take some time to type up. I hope you can be patient.

You do know that 6 is getting pretty old to breed her. If she has never had pups, the pelvic bones may not spread as easily as when she was younger and she might require a c-section. Just wanted you to know that.

The first step would be to have him tested for brucellosis. It is a sexually transmitted disease that causes sterility and can cause absorption of pups in females who just contract the disease. Read about brucellosis here:

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/canine-brucellosis

The second thing to be done and probably should be done at the same time is to harvest a sperm sample and check the mobility and number of sperm the male has to determine his reproductive health.

After he has been checked it will be time to check her. There are a large number of possible causes for female infertility. There is a complex chart of testing to determine what her problem might be. It can be found about 3/4 of the way down the following page.

http://www.labbies.com/reproduction2.htm

That chart takes you through a step by step approach to determining her fertility. You can start testing him at any time, but some of her testing can only be done when she is in heat.

Now there are some breeds that just have a very hard time breeding naturally but if you are sure they have achieved a tie, I would expect pregnancy as a result. You might lose one litter to herpes but subsequent tries should not be a problem.

I have to run out for about an hour but will check as soon as I return to see if you have more questions or need clarification.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. If you expected something different from the site, please don't rate my answer lower as a result. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Breed German Shepherd.

Thanks. A german shepherd does not have a hard time breeding normally but they can have hypothyroidism which can affect their hormone levels and prevent them from going into heat or maintaining the proper hormonal levels necessary to sustain a pregnancy. If your girl has excessive shedding or behavioral issues from time to time, that might indicate a thyroid problem.

Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 3 days ago.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.