Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My 10 year old border collie had formed stools in morning

My 10 year old border collie had formed stools in morning but by evening very soft, he also has smelly flactulance ALOT what can I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Border collie's name?
Customer: Brae
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Brae?
Customer: He gets fed twice daily, cup dried food wainwrights drinks a lot of water

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

When was Brae's last vet visit?

Was a parasite check done then?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Last year and yes.. He hasn't been done this year. We live in Scotland

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful.

Many things can cause gas. It is believed that dog foods containing soy products and other food allergies contribute to gas problems as well. Sometimes a change in diet will help the problem. Often it does indicate a bit of gastrointestinal issues which might also lead to less than firm stools.

Smaller meals spread out can help and taking your dog for walks after meals cuts down on gas. Adding good bacteria to your dog's stomach can aid in the digestion as well. I use a spoonful of plain unflavored yogurt on my dog's food to keep good bacteria in their stomach, but there are products, such as Prozyme or Fortiflora, that can be purchased at your pet store to aid digestion and cut down on gas. I imagine similar products are in Scotland. This should aid in digestion and cut down on loose stools in the evenings.

Here is a site that discusses the problem:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1571&articleid=253

Your dog is elderly and organ dysfunction can lead to loose stools as well. Parasites also can lead to loose stools as can protozoan infections such as giardia and coccidia. Read about these on the following page.

http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/worms.html

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1622&articleid=727

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/giardia-in-dogs/page1.aspx

The first step will be to get a fecal test done. If you collect a fresh sample and deliver it to your vet they should be able to run a fecal test without an exam to determine if that is an issue. An exam is needed to have blood work done which might be a good idea given his age. Protozoan infection can lead to cycles of loose stools like you describe.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. If you expected something different from the site, please don't rate my answer lower as a result. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was definately something he ate as I believe it passed through.. Thank you for your response it was very helpful

You are very welcome.