Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My puppy, (12 or so weeks, around 10 pounds) got into a pack

My puppy, (12 or so weeks, around 10 pounds) got into a pack of cigarettes. It doesn't look like he really ate anything, but tobacco leaves may have gotten stuck to his tongue and he may have ended up swallowing them.
If, considering these things, it is unlikely he will really get sick, I'd prefer to keep him from the vet. However, if it is, in fact, going to make him very ill, of course I want to bring him. He chewed the cigarette box 2 hours ago and has not shown symptoms.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. Just ignore it. Nicotine toxicity is usually fairly rapid. Symptoms should occur within 1 hour. If you haven't seen any symptoms at this point, he most likely wouldn't have ingested enough to cause a problem. I would just monitor him at this point. If you see vomiting, incoordination, weakness, tremors or collapsing; then have him evaluated by your vet for sure. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you so, so much for your help. I really needed a straight forward answer.
Again, thank you.

You are very welcome. Let me know if you have further concerns.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi.
Thanks so much for taking the time to check in. As you suspected, he is just fine. I don't think he really ingested anything, and you likely saved him a fair amount of unnecessary distress and unpleasantness, and me hundreds of dollars.
Thanks, again.
-Elizabeth

You are very welcome. Glad he is doing well. Let me know if you have further concerns.