Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My male Samoyed has black scabs on his chin. I have switched

Customer Question

My male Samoyed has black scabs on his chin. I have switched all his bowls to metal and put Neosporin on his chin. I put coconut oil on his chin also
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Spedo and he is 11 1/2 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Spedo?
Customer: He has some redness between his paws
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 days ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. Just ignore it. It is possible that it is still an allergy but not to the bowls. It could be a food allergy or even an environmental allergy if related to the paws. Sometimes these chin issues also have an underlying infection and require oral antibiotics to get it under control. Shaving the chin and using a benzoyl peroxide based shampoo or acne wipe to use on the area 1-2 times daily can help if it is just plugged hair follicles. From your description, though, my thoughts are that it may need oral antibiotics. If related to an allergy, your vet can also try putting him on a round of prednisone to see if that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 days ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Spedo is doing and to see if you have any other questions.